starting strength gym

Thread: Power clean check

Default Power clean check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

Any feedback on my power clean would be much appreciated. This is 135x3. My best squat for 5 (although they are more like a cluster of 5 singles) is 260. I'm doing advanced novice with backoff sets to manage fatigue, deadlifting and cleaning once every 2 weeks (plan to switch that to once a week each) and in general feel good about progress. I'm not eating to gain weight, plan to stay at current 170, and want to realize whatever strength potential I have at current size with my slow twitch muscle fiber makeup.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by robertross View Post

Any feedback on my power clean would be much appreciated. This is 135x3. My best squat for 5 (although they are more like a cluster of 5 singles) is 260. I'm doing advanced novice with backoff sets to manage fatigue, deadlifting and cleaning once every 2 weeks (plan to switch that to once a week each) and in general feel good about progress. I'm not eating to gain weight, plan to stay at current 170, and want to realize whatever strength potential I have at current size with my slow twitch muscle fiber makeup.

Thanks!

Kind of dark out, and you have conveniently worn a bunch of dark clothing...

Even given that I can tell you that you have one hell of an arm pull, you're catching the bar in your hands, your grip is probably a bit narrow, and your pulling mechanics off the floor are incorrect - you're essentially lifting the bar off the ground into a SLDL.

http://startingstrength.com/resource...yes-means.html

Read it. Carefully.

Thanks Steve, I can work on the arm pull, catching on the shoulders and grip width. Do you have any advice about how to improve mechanics off the floor? I'm not sure after researching it. Thanks, much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    your pulling mechanics off the floor are incorrect - you're essentially lifting the bar off the ground into a SLDL.
    I think I'm setting up correctly, are you referring to the bar not being in contact with my shins after leaving the floor? In the video on the page you link to above it looks like this is what happens in the examples as well.

Too much initial knee extension vs hip extension has the bar 2" in front of your knees on each rep.

Last edited by Steve Hill; 12-12-2016 at 10:02 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Steve, that's really interesting and useful. It makes me wonder if I'm doing the same thing on deadlifts.