starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello all!

I recently made a switch to an intermediate program (TM), and while my volume days are hard, they're still manageable. However, I've noticed that my squats and pulls (post about those coming soon) are suffering on intensity day. More specifically, my form seems to be going to shit. I know I'm not a special snowflake, but my long femurs and ability to hyperextend my lumbar, which will inevitably cause a posterior pelvic tilt at the bottom of my squat, make squatting a real bitch for me. Any tips on how I can make my squat better? Let me know if more info is needed. Thanks!

Height: 5' 9"
    BW: 210-ish lbs (all these numbers are in lbs)
    SQ: 335x5x1 (I deloaded a little when I started TM. LP had me POOPED!)
    PR: 147x5x3
    BP: 260x5x3
    DL: 340x5x1
    PC: 165x3x5

Couple of things:

Hyperextend = injury. Overextend is the word you're looking for. Unless you're telling me you have the ability to injure your back through overextension. In which case, don't do that.

If you OVERextend your lumbar, the pelvis tilts further ANTERIOR, not posterior. Right?

I think your stance is wide. Bu the angle and lighting are bad for determining that.

Finally, watch rep 3 and tell me what it had in common with reps 1-2, and not in common with 4 and 5.

This set was hard because of reps 1-3.

Finally, what's the deal with your DL? Why is it only 5# ahead of your squat at this point? I think some answers lie there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    Hyperextend = injury. Overextend is the word you're looking for. Unless you're telling me you have the ability to injure your back through overextension. In which case, don't do that.
    Yes, I meant overextend. Thank you for the clarification.

If you OVERextend your lumbar, the pelvis tilts further ANTERIOR, not posterior. Right?
    Correct, an overextended lumbar spine would present with an anterior pelvic tilt, but what I'm referencing is how a lumbar over-extension can cause a reversal into flexion the bottom of the squat. I was under the impression that the anterior tilt at the top effectively makes the squat start with an already partially-closed hip angle. And for guys like me, with my damn Celtic hips, this uses up precious ROM in the joint. However, I would like to be proven wrong if that is what I am! After all, I'm here to learn!

I think your stance is wide. Bu the angle and lighting are bad for determining that.
    I chose a wide stance because of my weird proportions, but I'll give a narrower stance a try and really think about spreading my knees out to the sides. I'll get a video on Monday.

Finally, watch rep 3 and tell me what it had in common with reps 1-2, and not in common with 4 and 5.

This set was hard because of reps 1-3.
    I'll be honest, I'm having a hard time coming up with an answer. I guess rep 4 looks tighter overall. Obviously, rep 3 sucked: I rounded in the bottom, got stuck midway through... Just horrible. But as for what is in common with reps 1-2... I'm sorry, I can't see it.

Finally, what's the deal with your DL? Why is it only 5# ahead of your squat at this point? I think some answers lie there as well.
    The million dollar question!!! I am not sure why. I started stalling HARD on DL around 315, and then it became a grind to keep adding weight every time. I've been trying to break past 345 for a while. I assumed it was because short arms and long femurs do not equal good leverages for DL. I understand that we DL with high hips, but my back is pretty much parallel to the floor when starting the pull. My PC is also super shitty, but I know that it's because I have to work on the jump because right now I tend to lean back instead of jump up. Maybe I'm just being a pussy because I can't use an eccentric phase and just need to squeeze my face off, but when I've tried that, I can only get 3 reps before I wanna die. I'll make another post next week after my DL.

You keep blaming your anthropometry, but I don't see anything unusual. So maybe one of your big problems is you are assigning causation to things that are wrong.

The difference between reps 1-3 and reps 4/5 are that, in your last two reps, you actually use hip drive to drive up out of the bottom. The most ergregious lack of this, rep three, DIES on the way up as soon as you lift your chest (IOW, stop driving your hips).

These are the things that special snowflakes miss when they go looking for something to blame.

I suggest that we're going to see all kinds of fun changes you've made to how we think you should be pulling when we see your deadlift.

I think you would benefit immensely from 1-2 hours with a coach.

TL;DR: You are not a special snowflake. Go see a coach.

Believe me, I would love nothing more than to spend time with a coach. Unfortunately, there are none in my state, and I have not the funds to afford it. If I did, I would've gone there first. Alas, that is not the case, so I came here to learn.

I did see the lack of hip drive earlier, but I guess I was looking for what caused the drive to die out of the bottom. You think it was from raising my chest too much, and not from the knees moving medially out of the bottom?

I'll keep you in suspense on the DL until after I perform it next week. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Lynch View Post
    Believe me, I would love nothing more than to spend time with a coach. Unfortunately, there are none in my state, and I have not the funds to afford it. If I did, I would've gone there first. Alas, that is not the case, so I came here to learn.
    Go see my friend Juli Petersen at Tosa Barbell.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Lynch View Post
    I did see the lack of hip drive earlier, but I guess I was looking for what caused the drive to die out of the bottom. You think it was from raising my chest too much, and not from the knees moving medially out of the bottom.
    I'm glad I did all that typing so I could just type it all over again.

Yes, it was you lifting your chest.

Although the knee cave might contribute, I think thats a result of your too-wide stance.
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 12-10-2016 at 10:48 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Go see my friend Juli Petersen at Tosa Barbell.
    Oh! She didn't come up when I did a search for SS Coaches in the directory. Thank you very much! I will contact her as soon as I am able.

Yes, it was you lifting your chest.

Although the knee cave might contribute, I think thats a result of your too-wide stance.
    Alright, that makes sense to me. In the meantime, I'll narrow my stance and focus on driving my ass up.

Thank you very much for your input! Your time and thoughts are greatly appreciated!