starting strength gym

Thread: PC and torn rotator cuff

Default PC and torn rotator cuff

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Got to the part of the novice program where the power clean is supposed to be introduced. I've successfully completed 5x95 and 5x105. The weight isn't a problem yet but I'm just learning the exercise.

I'm 55 and new to strength training (started for the first time my life in 2016). I own both Starting Strength and Practical Programming.

Practical Programming does indicate that old farts may consider leaving the PC out of their rotation but I'm interested in pursuing it.

I do have a specific question about the PC and rotator cuffs. Starting Strength explicitly says the rotator cuff is not a problem with the O/H press but is a big problem with the Bench Press if you don't lower the bar so that your upper arms form an angle (not 90) with the spine.

However, there is nothing I've seen explicitly written about rotator cuffs and the PC. Rather than assuming there is nothing of note, I want to ask if there is anything I should watch out for related to rotator cuff injuries before I get too far into the PC program.

Thx, Ted

It is rare to injure the muscles of the rotator cuff in a power clean. In fact, I have not seen it occur. If you have a cuff tear, the clean may or may not bother it, but it is unlikely to cause the injury.

Thanks ... seemed that way just wanted to make sure.

I'm sure there are plenty of other ways to mess myself up with the PC.