starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check 200lbs

Default Squat check 200lbs

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    First, thanks to everyone here who pitches in and helps newbies such as me. It makes all the difference!

Here's the set and my thoughts and questions to follow:

200 - YouTube

So, a few things I've self identified but not sure if I'm right:

- on the way up, my knees extend and move back but my hip angle stays fixed; then, I sort of good morning or almost deadlift the weight to the top.
    - when this happens the weight goes forward. The master cue ("make the bar path vertical") helps but I still tend to do this. When I think "hips up on a chain" I tend to fall into this problem.
    - when I seem to avoid this, it's when I think of shoving my hips forward from the bottom (almost focusing on opening the hip angle with my glutes
    - I used to over extend my low back, then let it go into extension, then back into over extension; I do this less now but it still happens here and there.
    - not sure if this means anything but after every workout my quads feel worked and my glutes and other leg muscles not as much, if at all.

IF I AM RIGHT my question is; what can I do to try to correct it? One thought was lots of TUBOW..?

Really appreciate comments on this and/or on anything else you see!

Those are not bad squats and you are not even close to doing a good morning. Purge such thoughts from your head. The only two things I see are these and they are related: you are accelerating near the bottom of your descent and you are overextending as you ascend. The fix is simple, if not easy. Control your descent and stay tighter. Don't speed up at the bottom. Be smooth and then ascend with great force. Right now you are relaxing as you try to get a bounce. Squeeze and hold at the bottom and on the way up. You may almost need to think about doing an abdominal crunch on the way up. I don't want you to flex your spine, but that may help with the overextension.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Those are not bad squats and you are not even close to doing a good morning. Purge such thoughts from your head. The only two things I see are these and they are related: you are accelerating near the bottom of your descent and you are overextending as you ascend. The fix is simple, if not easy. Control your descent and stay tighter. Don't speed up at the bottom. Be smooth and then ascend with great force. Right now you are relaxing as you try to get a bounce. Squeeze and hold at the bottom and on the way up. You may almost need to think about doing an abdominal crunch on the way up. I don't want you to flex your spine, but that may help with the overextension.
    Thanks Tom!

Funny, the "crunch" tip is one I kind of employed already at times. Glad to know I was on the right track!

How about these? Focus was on descent and "crunch". Last rep was not great and these may be a touch high but I think they look better:

205 for faahve - YouTube

Watch your shirt from the shortly after you start the rep to just before you finish the rep and take a guess at what we're gonna say...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    Watch your shirt from the shortly after you start the rep to just before you finish the rep and take a guess at what we're gonna say...
    Hate to say it Steve but I'm not connecting the dots...

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Coalminecanary View Post
    Hate to say it Steve but I'm not connecting the dots...
    IF your shirt wrinkles up, it means your back changed shape. Surely you can see your shirt wrinkle up as soon as you start your squat? You are keeping your upper back/chest vertical (or attempting to do so) while at the same time having to bend over - which your lower torso / back does. Hence your back going into overextension, hence the wrinkling of your shirt.