starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Blowing out:" There's no physiological mechanism at play here, is there?

Default "Blowing out:" There's no physiological mechanism at play here, is there?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Coaches,

I've asked about this before, both here and at the Seminar, about whether there's any value to "blowing out" on the way back up. I accept and practice the Valsalva maneuver. I accept Matt Reynold's assertion that there's "no mechanism" triggered by blowing out that makes a rep easier (that was his answer to my question during the Q&A period at a Seattle seminar a couple of years ago). I breathe (both in and out) between reps, and don't start a rep until I've inhaled and set the Valsalva.

However, I've found that a hard rep will seem easier if I start blowing out (more of a slow, sustained hiss) about half-way back up. Today, I set a PR on the bench: 240lbs for 4 singles across (52yo, 203lbs, first attempt at this weight, not genetically gifted; I'm pleased with these. Bombed the 5th single.). I would start the hiss at the sticking point, and the bar went up. Coincidence? Maybe the slight release of pressure made it easier to concentrate on finishing the rep? A psychological trick? The old dude I lift with (he's 70, 146 pounds, and can bench more than I can) told me I "started blowing out right at the right time" on of those reps. It was good rep, smooth, no wobble.

So: is there really nothing at play here, other than some psychological stuff?

Thank you,

Tom

Before I address your question here, I am far more interested in your claim that you know a 146-pound, 70-year old dude who benches more than 240. Video. We need it.

...what if you run out of "pfffsssshhhhhhh" before you finish the rep, say a super bad grinder rep.

I've seen that and laugh.

Seen people give a yell during a max,
    and "run out of yell" before the finishing the rep,
    have to re-breathe, to yell again to finish a max attempt.

Funny shit if you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Before I address your question here, I am far more interested in your claim that you know a 146-pound, 70-year old dude who benches more than 240. Video. We need it.
    Ha! I know--pretty remarkable. I haven't actually seen his bench in a couple of years, since our gym days just overlap on Mondays (when I bench) and Fridays (when we both DL). I'm pretty sure I've seen him bench 275.

Yesterday, he squatted a solid 305 single. I've seen him pull 405 (Sumo). Good guy to have in the gym.

This is the [I]Balloon Effect[I]. Please make sure you do blow it out in a "slow, sustained hiss" or you might rocket into the ceiling.

Not a bench, but 2x355 at 149BW. He then did this for 6. He's nearly 70. 355 @149BW - YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fuck me, that is damn strong. Dude looks nowhere near 70.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Fuck me, that is damn strong. Dude looks nowhere near 70.
    Inspirational, yeah? Notice how he gets his air at the top? Once at the start, then top of first rep. Then he held it through the second. He also bounces his reps, for which I often tease.

He started lifting in the late 70s, I believe, and has always stayed with it.

As to your original question, there is no advantage to significantly letting out your air during a lift. Some people yell, or grunt mid-rep and this is probably an attempt to increase intra-thoracic pressure, rather than to alleviate it via exhaling. They are actually doubling down on the valsalva, while perhaps losing a touch of air. They don't actively blow out. The one place, I do suggest letting out some air is at the top of the power clean when you rack. It helps to prevent you from getting dizzy. The lift is done by that point, however.

We've made our case as clearly as we can in the books, seminars, videos, and in person, I think. You do not seem inclined to believe us, which is certainly your right. Your very strong 70-year old friend, while able to lift a lot of weight, alas, is not correct about this. It will be up to you to make up your mind. The data are pretty compelling for holding the breath. Do what makes you happiest.

starting strength coach development program
    Tom, of course I believe you--I state clearly at the beginning that I accept and use the Valsalva. Your statement above about the yell or grunt mid-rep is something I do. The fact that it may increase intra-throacic pressure is new information for me. I think my slow hiss may be a version of the grunt? IOW, maybe it introduces extra pressure right when I need it. In no way am I blowing out such that I'm deflating my lungs.

I've been lifting with these guys for several years, and they always encourage me to "blow out," which I ignore. I will, however, grunt or yell when I need to, and that seems to satisfy them.

Thanks again--good to learn something new early in the day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast