starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corrected a knee collapse in the squat

Default Corrected a knee collapse in the squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    On heavy sets my knees would come in right after the bounce. My fix as recommended by Steve hill was to bring my stance in slightly. By experimentation I also found it beneficial to point my toes slightly more forward.

325 check - YouTube

To my untrained eye, I'm happy with this set. As always thank you for checking and for any tips.

You have corrected your knee collapse by not driving the knees out much at all. This is why the toes forward stance feels better. You are keeping your femurs in line with your feet. Even with that, your knees still wiggle a little. By not driving your knees out, you are missing out on all kinds of goodness as far as adductor and external rotator usage, as detailed in the blue book. You also impinge the hip a little, which makes it difficult to get depth, also in evidence here. Your stance width looks fine. I would point your toes out more and learn to drive your knees out and keep them out. It may be difficult for you. This will also probably help to get you deeper.

Does pointing out toes a bit too forward result in hip impingement?

No, but not driving the knees out does.

Thanks Tom, back to the drawing board for me. I can hold knees out on the descent, but they come in on the way up.
    I'm not asking for help on this video as Steve Hill has already given me corrective advice, but here is the video as an illustration of my original problem for those viewing this thread.

Squat form check - YouTube

Some people really struggle to keep the knees out and some people can do it just fine from day one. Make it your goal, your magnificent obsession, to really drive your knees out hard on the way up and stay with your hips.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    This will also probably help to get you deeper.
    There is a lot of discussion about squatting "too deep" on this board, if he is getting proper depth on his reps, is there any additional benefit for him going deeper in the squat in this particular example?
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 02-08-2017 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Missing closing bracket

Quote Originally Posted by Diddyin94 View Post
    There is a lot of discussion about squatting "too deep" on this board, if he is getting proper depth on his reps, is there any additional benefit for him going deeper in the squat in this particular example?
    Yes. He is not yet getting the crease of the hip below the top of the patella, so he needs to go a little deeper.

Makes sense. Thanks Tom.

starting strength coach development program
    For those of us who have developed flexible abductors, and shoving knees out results in knees outside toes, al la kstarr, and we still do a bit of the Charlestown with a heavy set. How does one obtain the kinesthetic awareness to shove the knees over the toes without valgusing the knees or shoving them too far?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast