starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halting deadlift form check please

Default Halting deadlift form check please

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all,

Found my 1x5 deadlifting was not progressing weekly but did better when I was more rested (e.g. over a week off). I decided to give alternating halting deadlifts with rack pulls a go

Rack pulls I've done once so far and did 10kg over my 5RM deadlift, no problem. However halting deadlifts I've tried 3 times now and am disappointed each time. I've taken off 10kg from my 5RM deadlift and can only get 5-6 (in the video, Rippetoe suggests you should be able to do your 5 rep deadlift weight for 8 halting deadlifts, but my back starts to round and is generally quite hard (maybe something to do with not pulling all the way, so lacking the commitment in my pull?)

Halting deadlifts 12th Feb 17 - YouTube

Again, this is 10kg less than my DL 5RM. Upper back probably rounded to a similar extent but have found over time that when I try to reset and keep my upper back completely extended it cuts progress, so decided if rounding is not ridiculous (like this final rep but for all reps) then I'll continue. Decided to lock out final rep as knew it was a failed session

Also just started 3x5 SLDLs on another day to strengthen my back. Doing this only once a week (until form sorted, when I'll bring back in rack pulls) only to find I fail them has resulted in a month of no DL progress. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks as always

What is the problem you are trying to solve, the rounding of your upper back, or your lack of progress on deads? I cannot see what your upper back is doing on the majority of your reps here since it is filmed from the front. All of those reps were very fast, however. They are not even close to being heavy for you. You tend to pull a little too high, too. Those are mostly deadlifts. Haltings stop right above the kneecap. Realize that the poundages used on the variants will vary from trainee to trainee and it may take you a couple of sessions to find the right load. Also, for rack pulls, you will probably be able to handle more than 10 kg over your normal deads.
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 02-14-2017 at 10:55 AM.

Did you read this yet?

Programming Halting Deadlifts

It may give you some ideas, too.

Thanks Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Did you read this yet?

Programming Halting Deadlifts

It may give you some ideas, too.
    Thanks this is the original article I read, followed by the videos by Rippetoe

What is the problem you are trying to solve, the rounding of your upper back, or your lack of progress on deads? I cannot see what your upper back is doing on the majority of your reps here since it is filmed from the front. All of those reps were very fast, however. They are not even close to being heavy for you. You tend to pull a little too high, too. Those are mostly deadlifts. Haltings stop right above the kneecap. Realize that the poundages used on the variants will vary from trainee to trainee and it may take you a couple of sessions to find the right load. Also, for rack pulls, you will probably be able to handle more than 10 kg over your normal deads.
    Good question... I suppose I'm concerned with the amount of rounding. I might be able to grind out another 2 reps (taking it to the 8 required) but I'm not happy with how the back rounds. I've not found it useful for myself to keep resetting and increasing with no upper rounding for deadlifts as it usually results in no progress. Whereas if I allow some upper rounding I've found I progress without injury and even my completely flat back deadlifts increase. So I guess I'm just puzzled at why my halting deadlifts are so hard even at 10kg less than DL weight. But maybe you answered it by pointing out that I was going a good few inches above my knee cap

Rack pulls was just something I started 10kg over DLs but like you said, I'm sure it's a bit light

Thanks for your input. Will try stopping at the knees (more difficult than I thought to stop at a precise point and not lose speed on the bar)

I would be interested in seeing a set filmed from hip height and mostly from the side. Maybe 15 degrees in forward of the side view. There may be a place in your training for paused deads. I don;t really know that barbell rows are the answer, but they might not hurt. However, when you get a chance, let's see another video.

I would be interested in seeing a set filmed from hip height and mostly from the side. Maybe 15 degrees in forward of the side view. There may be a place in your training for paused deads. I don;t really know that barbell rows are the answer, but they might not hurt. However, when you get a chance, let's see another video.
    Tom, thanks for the help thus far. Here is the new video at 5kg less (now 15kg less than my 5RM deadlift - wouldn't want to deload anymore):20170219 114345 - YouTube

I can see the upper back rounds a bit more as the set goes on but in your opinion is this good enough form to start alternating this with rack pulls and increasing the weight? Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look at implementing some rows (barbell or DB if I feel the barbell stuff is too heavy after a DL / Sq workout)

You do round your back a little, but I think I see another problem. You are starting the bar a little in front of your midfoot and then kicking the bar forward a little as you round your low back and try to squat the weight off the ground. This may contribute to your upper back flexion, too. Roll the bar back slightly and rock back off your toes. You may need to raise your butt slightly when all this gets set. Do me a favor. Shoot another video from the same angle and pull three singles. Step back from the bar every time. Then reset using the setup steps to the letter. Be very pedantic. This can be done with 315 or 350, or so. Nothing terrifically heavy, but enough that you need to do some work to hold together. It can be done as a back off, or a warump, etc... I would also be interested to have you try it in lifting shoes.

Thanks Tom, I'll film some singles in lifting shoes either tomorrow or the day after (training been a bit spontaneous recently because of work)

I will say I did have a problem a few months ago where I started with the bar too close to my shins and what would happen is my back angle would immediately shift to a more vertical one as soon as the bar left the floor, and this caused back rounding

Interesting that I just implemented haltings/rackpulls as well Kregna, and we are both competing for a #500 squat, ironic. It was suggested to me by one of our fellow SSCs that in order for me to continue to strengthen my DL I should start a 5 week rotation of haltings/rack pulls, deadlifting every fifth week. So I had a recent 1RM to work off of, 545. I began haltings at 475, only got 6 reps( think I was getting used to the straps). Last week I began rack pulls at 530. I managed 5 reps, but I'm sure that I got into my quads a bit, because I got a little shaky on the last couple of reps. Felt really light headed when I got the fifth rep locked out. Man, and I thought rack pulls were supposed to be less stressful. I'm beginning to think that I choose my starting weights a bit to heavy. Maybe back down to 465 on haltings and 520 on rack pulls so I don't fell like I'm at max effort so soon in the pulling program, or just keep at them and increase? Sorry to piggyback, but I was on the verge of starting a thread myself.

starting strength coach development program
    Only managed to get down the gym today and once mid week for a quick press session, so thanks for your patience

Here's the vid of 374lbs for 3 singles (the recent set of 8 haltings was 407lbs for reference). Deathliftz w/shoes - YouTube

I worked up to a heavy DL single today as not to deprive myself of the top part of the movement, having spent so many weeks trying to work out haltings... rounding showed as the weights got heavier but I guess that's to be expected. Shoes definitely feel different, not sure i'm a fan

Thanks again,
    Kregna

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast