starting strength gym

Thread: DL Check

Default DL Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Currently doing HLM as prescribed in B.P.
    455x1, 405x3, 375x5 are my 3 week cycle PRs.

This is my 405x3. 3rd rep gets away from my shins an inch. Same thing happens on my 5th rep in my 1x5, so I'm thinking it's fatigue but your insight would be appreciated.

You are starting with your hips a little too high. This puts your shoulders too far in front of the bar. Drop your butt a touch. This should help you keep the bar on your legs. It may also help alleviate the spinal flexion you are experiencing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    You are starting with your hips a little too high. This puts your shoulders too far in front of the bar. Drop your butt a touch. This should help you keep the bar on your legs. It may also help alleviate the spinal flexion you are experiencing.
    Thank you. Yes, the appearance of a spinal flexion is annoying. I have tried my best to make it go away by squeezing my chest, as instructed. Since my surgery back in 2011, there has been a hump, which is noticeable when I bend over. I am fighting two problems at the same time. I do drop my hips a bit right before the pull, so are you saying to drop my butt before I squeeze?

1) Shins 1 inch from the bar
    2) Bend at the waist
    3) Grip the bar
    4) Bring shins to touch the bar
    5) ***Drop my butt a touch
    6) Squeeze chest
    7) Pull

When OP squeezes his chest up, he seems to be making an honest effort into setting his back into extension, but shouldn't this action also pull the slack out of the bar? It seems like it's not transferring over.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon74 View Post
    I do drop my hips a bit right before the pull, so are you saying to drop my butt before I squeeze?
    You are either starting too close to the bar, or shifting forward when you bring your shins to the bar. I suspect it is a little bit of both. The one time you are supposed to drop your butt is when you bend your knees and your shins touch the bar. You aren't dropping your butt enough, but shifting forward instead. Your shins will touch the bar either way. Only one of them is correct, however.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    You are either starting too close to the bar, or shifting forward when you bring your shins to the bar. I suspect it is a little bit of both. The one time you are supposed to drop your butt is when you bend your knees and your shins touch the bar. You aren't dropping your butt enough, but shifting forward instead. Your shins will touch the bar either way. Only one of them is correct, however.
    Lightbulb!! I got it now. Thanks Tom!