starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have I lost my hip drahve?

Default Have I lost my hip drahve?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thanks for the form check.

I popped my hip and strained my rectus femoris 7 weeks ago, so I had to start all over with the 45lb bar and slowly adding weight. I couldn't lean over as much when I was rehabbing, so I wanted to make sure I'm not too upright.

I switched to a thumbs-around grip for a number of reasons--mostly elbow tendonitis ruining my bench and press--and I wanted to make sure it didn't badly change the mechanics of my squat. When I had the thumbs-over grip, I would constantly flex my wrists and roll the bar up and down my back--a movement that was exacerbated by raising my elbows and shrugging my shoulders, both of which caused me to initiate my squats with thoracic flexion.

Now that my thumbs are around, the bar isn't as stable and tight on my back, so I have to be careful about balancing it. The bar still moves up and down my back about a little, but it is a big change from having it roll up to my traps, folding me over, and forcing me on my toes.

Thanks for the help!

You're in Oakland and LA, and you're not going to see Campitelli (Oakland) or Horn / Ness (LA) to fix this???

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post

I popped my hip and strained my rectus femoris 7 weeks ago
    Do you mind sharing with us how this happened so I know what to avoid doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    You're in Oakland and LA, and you're not going to see Campitelli (Oakland) or Horn / Ness (LA) to fix this???
    I've seen Horn once, Tom twice, and worked with Wolf online with 3x a week weekly videos for three months.

I made one change to how I squat (thumbs around) and just wanted to make sure my form didn't go to hell after coming back from my injury.

These look ok except for I think your stance is a tad wide, and rep 4 is wrong. Watch your hips stop moving halfway up and then lift your chest - that's loss of hip drive. On all your other reps your hips stay in motion the entire ROM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    These look ok except for I think your stance is a tad wide, and rep 4 is wrong. Watch your hips stop moving halfway up and then lift your chest - that's loss of hip drive. On all your other reps your hips stay in motion the entire ROM.
    Thanks, Steve. I also lost my balance as a result of what you mentioned on rep 4, which is why it took me a while to do my last rep. The major downside of having my thumbs around the bar is that the bar tips to the left or right if I don't let enough of the weight rest on my wrists.

When my elbow tendonitis subsides, I might try thumbs over again.

Muchas gracias.

...and worked with Wolf online with 3x a week weekly videos for three months.
    And made the best damn soundtracks to go with those form check videos. I still miss them. I'd make them myself, but I lost the instruction manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    And made the best damn soundtracks to go with those form check videos. I still miss them. I'd make them myself, but I lost the instruction manual.
    Haha! Those were good times, indeed. I still need to get that Greatest American Hero singlet made.

Haha! Those were good times, indeed. I still need to get that Greatest American Hero singlet made.
    If you want an immediate bump to a 2000 total, you sure do!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post

lmao yess

Quote Originally Posted by Polishdude20 View Post
    Do you mind sharing with us how this happened so I know what to avoid doing?
    yeah how you hurt yourself?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast