starting strength gym

Thread: issues with rotator cuff

Default issues with rotator cuff

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have an injured (torn) rotator cuff and it is definitely affecting my training.

Some background ... 55 year old who first embarked on strength training Jan 2016 until i injured myself (lower back) April 2016. At that time, I was doing mostly deadlifts and presses with occasional squats and benches. The only exercise that bothered my shoulder was the squat and I was able to advance deadlifts to 355 #s with no discernable shoulder pain.

Second time around, starting in December 2016, I have been trying to follow the program more precisely which means squats every day in the gym.

I've notice pain and weakness in my injured shoulder during both bench and deadlifts ... I don't feel like I'm making the injury worse but I feel like i should change something up.
    The deadlifts have stalled at 315 ... what happens is my left grip becomes too weak to hold on after a few reps (in addition to other evidence of shoulder weakness).

Today, in an effort to get un-stalled, I limited myself to a single set of squats (5x205# ... a PR for intensity) as suggested in 'The Barbell Prescription'.

I was then able to knock out 3x5x160# benches (tied a PR) with limited discomfort and weakness in the shoulder.

I gave up on my 325# deadlift however after 2 reps ... same issue that realizes itself with left grip weakness.

I do use the alternate grip on the workset with left hand supine ... I tried switching them around for another go but didn't even attempt to get the bar off the ground after trying to initiate the pull.

Any insights or guidance on how to proceed would be appreciated.

Use a hook grip or a strap.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    Use a hook grip or a strap.
    Tried hook ... I have Trump hands and my middle finger was sliding off my thumb by the 3rd warm-up set.

Dialed down volume (not intensity) on squats and bench (1 set each) and hit 330# x 1 x 5 DL w/ relative ease (I only hit 325# x 1 x 2 last time out) with the traditional alternate grip.