starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift Check - 295 lbs

Default Deadlift Check - 295 lbs

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Coaches,

Reps 4 and 5 grip started to slip and I couldn't complete the lockout. I just started using the belt 1-2 sessions ago and it's taking some effort to get set properly, especially getting a breath between reps. I didn't notice at the time, but in looking at the video, are my hips too low? Any other issues here?

Thanks!
    Jeremy

https://vimeo.com/205281511/

You correctly identified the primary issue. The bar is in front of your midfoot, which puts your hips too low. Bring the bar back so it is one inch from the shins when you are standing up and you will be in the right place. If grip is an issue, be sure to use chalk and if if it is still an issue switch to the hook grip or a reverse grip in that order. Otherwise it looks like you set and hold your back in good extension. Bar closer, hips higher, better grip, and off you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    You correctly identified the primary issue. The bar is in front of your midfoot, which puts your hips too low. Bring the bar back so it is one inch from the shins when you are standing up and you will be in the right place. If grip is an issue, be sure to use chalk and if if it is still an issue switch to the hook grip or a reverse grip in that order. Otherwise it looks like you set and hold your back in good extension. Bar closer, hips higher, better grip, and off you go.
    When you say 'reverse grip' do you mean mixed grip? If not, why not mixed grip?

OP, consider your setdown too - maybe it will get fixed with higher hip setup (since you won't be trying to return to the overly low start position) but you're breaking at the knees first instead of breaking at the hips, which makes you do that awkward around the knees move which in turns fucks up your general positioning for the next rep. Should be as close to straight up, straight down as you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by crc View Post
    When you say 'reverse grip' do you mean mixed grip?
    Yep. Same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Thanks Tom! I've never used hook grip. Is there a good tutorial somewhere for how to use it properly?

Anyhow, I'm waiting on results from an MRI from last Friday for my left shoulder. Possible labrum tear according to the doc that examined me. Shoulder mostly feels fine, but due to some discomfort and extra "clicking" after an audible 'pop' 6 weeks ago, decided to get it checked out. I had surgery on my right shoulder (same do) to repair a torn labrum nearly 6 years ago, so I'm not looking forward to the surgery, if that's what's called for. So the question is then, if I'm going to continue to lift in the meantime, and decide to do a mixed grip, which arm makes more sense to reverse (palm up) - the injured one, or the previously repaired one?

Quote Originally Posted by crc View Post
    OP, consider your setdown too - maybe it will get fixed with higher hip setup (since you won't be trying to return to the overly low start position) but you're breaking at the knees first instead of breaking at the hips, which makes you do that awkward around the knees move which in turns fucks up your general positioning for the next rep. Should be as close to straight up, straight down as you can get.
    Ok, i'll take a look at that. I did notice that I was going around the knees a bit. So when exactly should the knees break, in relation to the bar's position on the legs?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyg View Post
    Thanks Tom! I've never used hook grip. Is there a good tutorial somewhere for how to use it properly?
    Grab on to your thumb and enjoy the sensation.

So the question is then, if I'm going to continue to lift in the meantime, and decide to do a mixed grip, which arm makes more sense to reverse (palm up) - the injured one, or the previously repaired one?
    Unlikely that it will matter. You will be able to tell us.

Ok, i'll take a look at that. I did notice that I was going around the knees a bit. So when exactly should the knees break, in relation to the bar's position on the legs?
    The knees should not significantly bend until the bar passes them on the way down. You can unlock the knees, but if they bend too much the bar will need to go around them.

I would go with the hook grip. It's pretty uncomfortable, even painful, for a while, but you really do acclimate to it. Also, chalk is a must, but I don't think it helps that much if your issue is grip strength. Hook grip helps with that. Of course, I chalk along with the hook grip.

The Deadlift Grip Poll appears to agree with you.

I tried the hook grip on a couple of power cleans. It didn't really hurt, but didn't feel great either. I can't imagine doing it with 3x the weight though! Ugh.

It is not that bad. In fact, it builds character with every repetition.

starting strength coach development program
    ... I can't imagine doing it with 3x the weight though! Ugh.
    It produces one of the more interesting adaptations in strength training. I don't think I have nerve damage (!), but I no longer experience the original crushing sensation. My grip strength doesn't seem to have improved enough to have relieved much pressure in the hook (I guess). So I am wondering if there is a mostly psychological adaption that concretely reduces pain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast