starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check @ 315

Default Squat form check @ 315

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,

I'm 30 years old now and started LP 3,5 months ago (bw@200lbs). My current lifts with bw@215 are:

squat: 142,5kg (315lbs) 3x5 (felt like shit)
    press: 75kg (165lbs) 3x5
    dl: 170kg (375bs) 1x5
    bench: 105kg (230lbs) 3x5
    pc: 95kg (210lbs) 5x3

I'm eating around 3500cal to 4000cal

Progress on the all exercises runs good except for the squat. It feels so heavy compared to the deadlift and the other lifts which makes me believe my technique sucks. Please decide for yourself.

IMG 0748 - YouTube

I also have a short right leg (about 0.2inches diagnosed) and an insole. On heavy sets i have the dendency to shift my ass to one side (right) on the half way up. I can post a video if necessary.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations.

Simon

First off, all of these reps are high. Probably. READ THE STICKY on filming form checks posted JUST FOR YOU at the top of this forum.

Second - you stop driving your hips up as soon as you come about 1/4 of the way up, and you lift your chest. Stay in your hips all the way to the top.

Finally, I think your stance might be a little narrow - your feet are rolling outward (supinating). Take a slightly wider stance, and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    First off, all of these reps are high. Probably. READ THE STICKY on filming form checks posted JUST FOR YOU at the top of this forum.

Second - you stop driving your hips up as soon as you come about 1/4 of the way up, and you lift your chest. Stay in your hips all the way to the top.

Finally, I think your stance might be a little narrow - your feet are rolling outward (supinating). Take a slightly wider stance, and see if that helps.
    Hi Steve,

I tried to implement yout suggestions. I hope the camera angle is better now.
    I take a wider stance and try to "stay in my hips" also i'm still not quite sure what this has to feel like...

IMG 0796 - YouTube

thank you in advance

simon

These look a lot better. Stance width probably helped your depth, which is now OK, and you're driving reasonably well with your hips, too. Now that those things are cleared up, try to keep your chest up, aka thoracic spine extended, as it looks like it's rounded over a little. Lowering your elbows slightly might help with this. And keep your head in a neutral position, and still, instead of poking it out and moving it around.

hey simon, do you keep a log on this site? We are almost identical in bodyweight and all our lifts.

starting strength coach development program
    Sorry for replyig so late but i've been on holiday.

Thank you coach for your feedback. I will incorportate your suggestions and post a new video this week.

@cole205: i dont have a log on the side but i watched yours. We are very identical in bw and lifts, indeed. Good luck on your journey dude.