starting strength gym

Thread: Squat hip impingement

Default Squat hip impingement

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Tom,

I asked you if keeping the feet too much to the front would cause hip impingement. Your reply what that impingement would n't happen as long as the knees are shoved away. That thread is closed. So, I ask the next question here. Would too wide a stance cause hip impingement, even if the feet are at the recommended angle and the knees track the feet correctly during the squat?

Quote Originally Posted by Giri View Post
    Hello Tom,

I asked you if keeping the feet too much to the front would cause hip impingement. Your reply what that impingement would n't happen as long as the knees are shoved away. That thread is closed. So, I ask the next question here. Would too wide a stance cause hip impingement, even if the feet are at the recommended angle and the knees track the feet correctly during the squat?
    Happily, Rip wrote an article on this that covers your exact questions: http://startingstrength.com/articles...2_rippetoe.pdf

When the stance is too wide, the limitation becomes the adductors extensibility, not impingement. The result is usually knees caving in, or a squat that fails to reach proper depth, and NOT impingement.
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 03-07-2017 at 08:15 AM. Reason: fucking iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    Happily, Rip wrote an article on this that covers your exact questions: http://startingstrength.com/articles...2_rippetoe.pdf

When the stance is too wide, the limitation becomes the adductors extensibility, not impingement. The result is usually knees caving in, or a squat that fails to reach proper depth, and NOT impediment.
    Thank you,Steve.I'll read it up.

Another reason I asked the question is, I remember the time when Rip and staff went to South Korea and one of the staff said he'd need a hip surgery due to the damage he incurred using the ultra wide Westside recommended squat stance. I believe the context was that someone asked why he rolls the bar back for a deadlift, unlike the SS method where it's static over the mid-foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Giri View Post
    Thank you,Steve.I'll read it up.

Another reason I asked the question is, I remember the time when Rip and staff went to South Korea and one of the staff said he'd need a hip surgery due to the damage he incurred using the ultra wide Westside recommended squat stance. I believe the context was that someone asked why he rolls the bar back for a deadlift, unlike the SS method where it's static over the mid-foot.
    You'll note that I almost never give a definitive answer. In this case, the individual in case blames a wide stance. Maybe that's the case - I'm not sure. Maybe he just chose his parents poorly. For MOST people, too wide a stance limits depth and thus the chance for any impingment. However, if you rotate the hips out wide enough, in a manner in which nature never really intended the hip to flex and extend very much if at all, I can see it potentially causing problems if you force yourself deep enough.

So why not just take a correct stance?

You'll note that I almost never give a definitive answer. In this case, the individual in case blames a wide stance. Maybe that's the case - I'm not sure. Maybe he just chose his parents poorly. For MOST people, too wide a stance limits depth and thus the chance for any impingment. However, if you rotate the hips out wide enough, in a manner in which nature never really intended the hip to flex and extend very much if at all, I can see it potentially causing problems if you force yourself deep enough.

So why not just take a correct stance?
    I seem to have impingement issue with my right hip which subsided once I narrowed down my stance (after various experiments) to shoulder width. Originally the stance was a couple of inches more than shoulder width. Just trying to figure out stuff.

I will point out that shoulder width is the correct stance.

starting strength coach development program
    I will point out that shoulder width is the correct stance.
    Steve,it was a very helpful read. I tried consciously shoving away the knees out with today's medium day squat of 313 lb x 5 x 3 and it felt really good, sans any pain. I'm guessing I was unintentionally bracing my torso against my right hip even though I was under the impression that my knees were tracking my feet.