• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi coaches

How does my squat look?

BW: 185 lb
    Squat: 3x5x285 lb

130 kg (285 lb) Squat - YouTube
    (This is my third set)

This was not an all out set. In spite of that I feel that a fall over too much/butt shoots up without maintaining back angle, during the 4th and 5th rep. I tried alot of things but nothing seems to help. When the weights get heavy I do no matter what? (Also happens at 1st and 2nd set)

Is this a general problem, and does anything else need fixing?

My feet are slightly wider than shoulder width, with feet pointing outwards (moderate).

Andersen

You are kind of cut off, but I have seen worse. The small amount of back angle change you display is not a problem at all. What I cannot tell from the video where you are chopped off above an below is how far your knees are going forward. They look like they may be going forward for the duration of the movement. You want to get them in place earlier. Otherwise, they look fine from here.

Thank you so much for your reply.

Cues for next couple of session would be to set knees earlier! However does this mean that they also travel too far forward or that they just have to be set quicker/earlier? (at their current position in the bottom)

Tough to say for sure from the video. However, I suspect that you are near the correct place. Just see if you can stop the knee travel at the bottom.

I will. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    The small amount of back angle change you display is not a problem at all..
    It's very helpful seeing your analyses of other lifters. I feel like I have this same "problem". Is the failure of the back angle to be retained in early ascent simply a way of saying that his "hip drive" is where it should be? Or am I reading too much into this statement Tom?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    It's very helpful seeing your analyses of other lifters. I feel like I have this same "problem". Is the failure of the back angle to be retained in early ascent simply a way of saying that his "hip drive" is where it should be? Or am I reading too much into this statement Tom?
    It is entirely normal to see a small change in back angle when initiating the ascent. In fact, it may be unavoidable, even in a front squat. So long as it does not become excessive, or cause the bar to drift forward of the midfoot, it is nothing to be concerned about.