starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Training my son for (American) football

Default Training my son for (American) football

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have been going to the gym for about 6 months due to some health issues, had a case of "fuckarounditis" and stumbled onto Dr Sullivans article Barbells are Big Medicine. I purchased SS, read it cover to cover, watched all those "Art of Mainliness/Rip videos on Youtube and realized I have been doing something wrong on just about every lift.

Anyhow I am going to have my son start training with me. He is in 8th grade going into HS 6'2" 240.. a little fluffy around the middle. The HS coach sent a program but it seemed kind of gay.. with a lot of high rep stuff and dumbell flyes and shit like that.

I guess my question is, would the Rip Novice routine be the best way to proceed with him? What about nutrition? Just keep getting stronger and let the chips fall where they may, weight wise?

Quote Originally Posted by DieselBro View Post
    I guess my question is, would the Rip Novice routine be the best way to proceed with him?
    Yup.

What about nutrition? Just keep getting stronger and let the chips fall where they may, weight wise?
    This ^ is what I would do.

I should add that he has genetic potential to be quite tall, I am 6'4" my father is 6'8" so I am not overly concerned about his weight, he can moderate that on the activity side. I just make sure he gets plenty of protein.

Edit.. being a novice myself I would be training with him. Cripes I though I knew a little bit about lifting from when I was in HS/college, but I was doing a lot wrong...

I have been going to the gym for about 6 months due to some health issues, had a case of "fuckarounditis" and stumbled onto Dr Sullivans article Barbells are Big Medicine. I purchased SS, read it cover to cover, watched all those "Art of Mainliness/Rip videos on Youtube and realized I have been doing something wrong on just about every lift.

Anyhow I am going to have my son start training with me. He is in 8th grade going into HS 6'2" 240.. a little fluffy around the middle. The HS coach sent a program but it seemed kind of gay.. with a lot of high rep stuff and dumbell flyes and shit like that.

I guess my question is, would the Rip Novice routine be the best way to proceed with him? What about nutrition? Just keep getting stronger and let the chips fall where they may, weight wise?
    Kids have to eat to grow. In his case, grow in both height and muscles. What position(s) does he play in the field?

Initially I'd track his macros and calories for two weeks without changing anything in his current diet, then adjust the macros keeping calories constant and seeing (again for two weeks) if that changes anything in his body. If/when his progress on the lifts begin to get difficult, I'd add a layer of calories (~100kcal). I'd never put an adolescent on a cut, because that might leave some puberty gains on the table.

If the calories/macro tracking is a pain in the ass for you and him, then I'd just have him eat a lot of meat, eggs, milk, fruits, veggies, "clean" carbs (rice, oats, beans, potatoes) and make sure his weight goes up when his lifts start to get hard. I'd keep a junky meal (with plenty of protein, like burgers and such) or two on the weekend because teenagers gotta be teenagers.

For Nutrition, you can always read a lot of what's in the Nutrition forum in the Starting Strength section. There's a sticky with a link to Jordan's To Be A Beast article.

Also, there's this: 10 Stupid Simple Muscle Meals

He figures to be a Guard. He eats pretty much like you describe until we do Pizza on friday or saturday.. doesn't drink much soda or juice, mainly water, 2% milk or an occasional Arnold Palmer zero. Ice Cream here and there. Kid just likes to eat, real food.. he was eating a full adult breakfast at the diner (omelette or whatever) when he was like 6.. no childs menu for him LOL.

I want him to get the most out of his puberty gains, so I don't want to underfeed him like you said.

Anyhow, thanks.
    Last edited by DieselBro; 01-12-2017 at 09:37 AM.

He figures to be a Guard. He eats pretty much like you describe until we do Pizza on friday or saturday.. doesn't drink much soda or juice, mainly water, 2% milk or an occasional Arnold Palmer zero. Ice Cream here and there. Kid just likes to eat, real food.. he was eating a full adult breakfast at the diner (omelette or whatever) when he was like 6.. no childs menu for him LOL.

I want him to get the most out of his puberty gains, so I don't want to underfeed him like you said.

Anyhow, thanks.
    Then you two will profit immensely from SS. Make sure to keep form good, and don't be ashamed to ask for form checks in the Technique or Coaches Q&A from time to time (for you both).

You'll see how getting stronger will help your son and you.

I'm a collegiate football player. Do the program exactly as written.

Quote Originally Posted by Murelli View Post
    Then you two will profit immensely from SS. Make sure to keep form good, and don't be ashamed to ask for form checks in the Technique or Coaches Q&A from time to time (for you both).

You'll see how getting stronger will help your son and you.

I think the one cue I wasn't quite understading was on the squat.

In the video I watched, Rip put his hand in the small of the lifter's back and said something like, just move this up.. don't push your feet into the floor or anything like that.... I am just not quite getting that one, although when we get to the gym it may make more sense. Like I said, I thought I was doing things correctly, but I was too upright, and looking up. Going to start over with better form.

Quote Originally Posted by The_GOAT View Post
    I'm a collegiate football player.
    Hey, how'd the first season go?

starting strength coach development program
    I think the one cue I wasn't quite understading was on the squat.

In the video I watched, Rip put his hand in the small of the lifter's back and said something like, just move this up.. don't push your feet into the floor or anything like that.... I am just not quite getting that one, although when we get to the gym it may make more sense.
    Most newbies will just "stand up" out of the bottom of the squat by leading with the chest. We want you to drive the hips straight up out of the hole, almost leading with your butt. Imagine that the barbell on your hips and you are driving it up.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast