Thread: form check please

Default form check please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Previous thread with pertinent information about this check:
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...ay-change.html

Connecting that to this form check:
    Tried 320 again for a second time (going 3, 2, 2) and a third time today, which was a failure at 1, 0, 0. I'm fighting a bacterial infection at the moment so that may have something to do with the poor performance this most recent time around, but other than feeling a little run down and sort of achy during sets, I feel fine, so I don't know. To be clear, I did get 315 3x5. My weeks have been wonky schedule-wise too. Last week, I squatted heavy on Monday, Friday, and then today (tuesday) trying to get 320. I thought maybe the extra rest days would get me 320 (unintentional), but alas. I decided to deload way down to 265, and even that felt difficult.

Form check with 265
    265 - YouTube

My apologies for the subpar camera angle and being cut off at the top. Rookie mistakes. Hopefully there is enough there to make some recommendations. I really would have liked to give you 320, but since I couldn't get it for 5's, I decided that might not be something you want to see.

I'm not sure what to do at this point in terms of programming.

Really appreciate you taking the time to look at all this crap. Thank you

Your squat looks fundamentally sound. You could probably use to drive your knees out a little harder on the later reps and keep your chin down a bit on the way up. Otherwise, there is nothing to complain about here. I suspect that a slight reset is in order. Doesn't have to be a big one, but you lost momentum and got sick. Feel better. Take some weight off the bar, and Over the next five or six workouts, work back up to where you were. If you hit a wall, then it is probably time to move on from the LP.

Oh cool, glad to hear it.

Thanks so much for your advice. Should I just take off 10% of 315, or do you think more/less? If I did the former, I was thinking I would make a few 10 lb jumps and then a few 5 lb jumps as needed for a total of 6 workouts and 45 lbs.

I hope I don't hit a wall again. It was only the second week into advanced novice programming with a light day when I failed. I'm hoping there's more in the tank.

I would take more off rather than less. It will be made up quickly, and give you a chance to re-establish momentum, which is a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    I would take more off rather than less. It will be made up quickly, and give you a chance to re-establish momentum, which is a thing.
    Glad I saw this before my work sets today. Would you recommend maybe like 60-70 lbs made up in 5-6 workouts using 10 lb jumps and maybe a 15 pounder at the beginning?

Quote Originally Posted by tfranc View Post
    Glad I saw this before my work sets today. Would you recommend maybe like 60-70 lbs made up in 5-6 workouts using 10 lb jumps and maybe a 15 pounder at the beginning?
    You stated 10% off of 315 (which, incidentally, is less that 45#). More than that.

You stated 10% off of 315 (which, incidentally, is less that 45#). More than that.
    Oops heh, you're right. Thanks for that catch.

I'm just trying to figure out what is the lowest weight I could use to make 5-6 jumps (workouts) back to 315 from. I honestly don't know what that looks like. I don't know if trying to make 10 lb jumps back for 6 workouts in a row makes sense, but that would put my starting point at 255 (315 - 60 = 255), which is less than 10% of 315, so it fits your recommendation. But does that plan make sense? Can I actually make 10 lb jumps for 5-6 workouts while I build back up to 315? I don't know if that's the best course of action or if those jumps are even possible. What do you think?

Thanks for sticking with me

I'd back up to 275 and go up in 5# increments from there. Since you're asking. This may not necessarily be the best course of action since I'm not coaching you. What you can and cannot do I do not know since I don't know your willingness to actually DTFP correctly.

starting strength coach development program
    I'd back up to 275 and go up in 5# increments from there. Since you're asking. This may not necessarily be the best course of action since I'm not coaching you. What you can and cannot do I do not know since I don't know your willingness to actually DTFP correctly.
    I've made it my life's goal to finish the LP in as exacting a manner as possible. That's part of why I ask so many annoying questions. I do it in hope that the coaches of the SS coaching forum section will extend their legendary generosity and advice. They (and you) never fail.