starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Straight Grip Instead of Mixed Grip

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    So you have small hands? If they are so small you can't hook grip, you're going to have to use an alternating grip or straps.
    Yeah, I just wanted to know when small s small. As I said i can't hook it, so I've never gave it a shot. Just trying to figure out whether it's worth putting time in (as in learning low bar squats, which feel uncomfortable but will get better) or is probably never gonna work.

Quote Originally Posted by Maties Hofstede View Post
    Yeah, I just wanted to know when small s small. As I said i can't hook it, so I've never gave it a shot. Just trying to figure out whether it's worth putting time in (as in learning low bar squats, which feel uncomfortable but will get better) or is probably never gonna work.
    You're really Donald Trump, aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Dag View Post
    That could be part of the problem. My gym is full of cheap, thick bars.
    I hadn't thought of that variable. Bastards.

This excellent advice from the not less excellent IPB made my hook grip work in about 10 lifts:

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    Only for the first thirty/forty times. Then it just subsides into a dull sense of numbness.
    Seriously, it's mainly a matter of practice.
    You could start using the hook grip for all your warm up sets, and then get used to heavy singles.
    Also, there is no need to keep the thumb directly under the bar; the hook also works if the thumb is turned slightly towards the side (facing your shins) of the bar. you will have to experiment a bit to find the right compromise.

IPB
    Alan Thrall made it pretty clear why the hook grip is a good idea:

Hope it helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Theban93 View Post
    You are not living up to your username, yet.

I'm 156cm/5'1 tall with hands which match the rest of the body (yes, smaller than Trumps pussy grabbers, Steve) and a grand wizard of the hook grip master race. I use this grip on a regular powerlifting barbell, and not sparingly so. That would have to be 29mm or 30mm. Fills out my hands and seemed very awkward at first. I really had to practice it. Now it's become second nature. It's more about learning where to put your thumbs exactly, building a tolerance for the discomfort of the grip, and holding onto the bar for the life of you, instead of only letting the thumbs do all the work. Taping your thumbs up might be a really good idea as well.
    Someone edited my post!!!I'm actually using Hook Grip now and its the bees knees!!!! So much easier to lift. Also I'm using tape and it has really helped in the discomfort area.

This stuff works, at least for this guy and me.
    It may be easier to grasp that the written form that I cited earlier.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    You're really Donald Trump, aren't you?
    Not sure. Dont hope so. But hey, sucked it up and pulled hookgrip 135 in non-retard units yesterday

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12