starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Straight Grip Instead of Mixed Grip

Default Straight Grip Instead of Mixed Grip

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So when I deadlift I'd rather use the normal grip. Sadly as the weight get over 300 I tend to lose my grip strength and have to go to a mixed grip. Mixed grip is ok but its very awkward for me I feel out of balance and would rather stay with my normal grip. What Acc. stuff could I do to improve my grip strength?

You would, of course, learn to hook grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    You would, of course, learn to hook grip.
    Is there any indication when one should / could not? Ive tried, but I see absolutely no way of holding on hooked. Got small hands but not sure when small s to small.

And how, if, should one go about implementing it? If say work sets rn is 125kg, overhand but reaching breaking point

Ah.....to the GOOGLE!!!!
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 03-24-2017 at 07:47 AM.

So you have small hands? If they are so small you can't hook grip, you're going to have to use an alternating grip or straps.

You're not alone. My fingers are so short I can barely get my thumb nail under my first finger. If using a mixed grip, try putting your overhand a bit further out than your underhand. Not a lot, just a bit. It could help alleviate the out of balance feeling.

First time I tried learning hook grip, I couldn't hold on to the bar. I do have shorter fingers and stuff so I figured it was that. Nope.

1) Chalk the back of your thumb as well as the pads of your index and middle fingers.
    2) Similar to how with DOH you aren't supposed to grip all the way down with the bar in the palm, but rather have it along the top of the palm, hook works much better for me if my thumb is not all the way under/around the bar. I line up with the initial bone of the hand vertical on the back of the bar. When I wrap around to actually hook, this puts my thumb pad between the side and bottom of the bar, and my index/middle fingers actually under the bar. There's less weird skin folding this way.

I don't have big hands, but probably not abnormally small either. But you'd have to have pretty darn small hands to not be able to hook grip at all.

Bottom line, you can probably learn it. keep trying. It solves everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Magni Bronzebeard View Post
    Is there any indication when one should / could not? Ive tried, but I see absolutely no way of holding on hooked. Got small hands but not sure when small s to small.

And how, if, should one go about implementing it? If say work sets rn is 125kg, overhand but reaching breaking point

Ah.....to the GOOGLE!!!!

Wait what?!? I don't remember asking about small hands. Who says I got small hands??

Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    I don't have big hands, but probably not abnormally small either. But you'd have to have pretty darn small hands to not be able to hook grip at all.

Bottom line, you can probably learn it. keep trying. It solves everything.
    Cheap 32mm gym bars probably make hook grip harder. A decent 29 or 28mm bar gives you almost a cm more effective finger overlap, if I'm calculating correctly. (32 - 29) * pi

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    Cheap 32mm gym bars probably make hook grip harder. A decent 29 or 28mm bar gives you almost a cm more effective finger overlap, if I'm calculating correctly. (32 - 29) * pi
    That could be part of the problem. My gym is full of cheap, thick bars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast