starting strength gym

Thread: Losing strength deadlift

Default Losing strength deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am 62 yrs old weigh 150 5'3" I started deadlifting as part of my physique competition prep. and was doing 275 for 6-8 reps After my last physique contest 8-16 I decided to focus on powerlifting. the first 4 weeks of training went well and I was able to work up to 320 for a single rep The following week after that lift I couldn't break 305 off the ground. I continued to struggle each week and get weaker until by the end of October I couldn't lift 290. I took off 2 weeks before my first contest 11/19. I was able to lift 342 in the meet and break the American record for my age and weight
    My next meet was in January. Same thing in training. I lifted every week and just seemed to get weaker instead of progressing I was not able to lift more than 300 and that wasn't easy. I again took of 2 weeks before the meet. Considering what was going on in training I wasn't sure how the meet would go. I was able to easily lift 319 but missed my last attempt at 345
    I am preparing now to go to the Nationals and I am still having the same issue in training
    So what gives? Why am I able to lift heavier in a meet but in training I'm just getting weaker
    Should I just be deadlifting every other week?
    Just getting really frustrated
    My other lifts are progressing fine and am getting stronger week by week
    Thanks for your help
    Leah

So when you took two weeks off, you got stronger, when you tried to lift every week (on top of everything else you were doing), you got weaker.

Hmmmm.

Maybe read these two books:

The Barbell Prescription | The Aasgaard Company

Practical Programming for Strength Training | The Aasgaard Company

I think the point that you're missing (and keep beating your head against) is twofold: we get stronger by recovering from training, and the weekly calendar is a man-made construct that seems hard for people to let go of.

Thanks Steve. I understand your point about recovery just don't get why my other lifts are progressing just fine and the deadlift is not. I've order Practical Programming

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    I think the point that you're missing (and keep beating your head against) is twofold: we get stronger by recovering from training, and the weekly calendar is a man-made construct that seems hard for people to let go of.
    Brilliant. The second point is one I am so guilty of. i get locked into a 7 day training cycle...I needed to hear that.

The first point, Selye's Law, changed my world once I understood it on both a cellular level and a macro view. The recovery cannot be emphasized enough.
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 03-27-2017 at 01:34 PM. Reason: fixed quotation

Quote Originally Posted by Lmichael View Post
    Thanks Steve. I understand your point about recovery just don't get why my other lifts are progressing just fine and the deadlift is not. I've order Practical Programming
    You're quite welcome. I also advocate that you look really hard at your diet - coming from a physique competition background, I can almost certainly bet you're not eating adequately, even at 62. Also, the deadlift is the most physically demanding of the lifts, which is why we advocate a single set of 5 for novices, and breaking the movement up into two parts when it gets really hard (IOW, rack pulls and haltings).

starting strength coach development program
    I think I'm ok w the diet. I'm eating 3000 cal
    Also sleeping 7-8 hrs plus naps. Think it's the way I've been trading as you say
    Thanks so much for your hekp