starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optimal next step, hope I put my thoughts well together(first post) bit of a lurker.

Question Optimal next step, hope I put my thoughts well together(first post) bit of a lurker.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I don't have anyone to ask this so I am posting this here since most of the people around me that I know who train have the bro mentality about it, and I would rather talk to informed individuals. Sorry about the length.

So to start this here a bit of back ground. I am 24 years old, 5'6-5'7 and am currently about 155lbs have been training for strength for about 2 years now at the least. I got into training because of all the injuries I have gotten from skateboarding for as long as I have and because of lower back pain, the goal has been get stronger last longer. I want to lift and skate still when I'm in my 40s and beyond and also after college do some power lifiting.
    With all that said I started training when my buddy introduced me to starting strength. He told me I didn't really need the book and showed me the ropes. At the start of SS I was about 138lbs(skinny and weak) and by the end I was 145lb. My lifts went from 95lb Squat to 195lb (3x5), Bench went from 125lbs to 150lbs(3x5). I don't remember my initial or final OHP numbers And honestly I was afraid to deadlift because of my back.

(Looking back my form was crap and so was my diet so I KNOW I could have done more and taken this way more seriously.)

After about 3 months on SS and stalling out I went to that same buddy and he told me about 531. I did that for about 6 months and my weight went from 145lbs to 160lbs. My bench went to 185lb 1RM squat 225lb RM OH 95lb 1RM and Deadlift 315lb 1RM. At this point I decided I LOVED training for strength. My form on all my lifts were decent but I knew they were not optimal. Spent four weeks not training over the Christmas break from school then decided to run 531 again but fix all my form issues. I don't remember how long I ran 531 the second time but I fixed all of my form issues with the exception of still to this day working to perfect my deadlift form as much as possible. I know this is a lot but hang in there please a coaches opinion of my experience thus far is very important to me.
    Fast forward to more current time and to spare you more words. My current lifts are all the same besides squats 255lbs 1 RM, and OHP 125 1RM. I know what needs work on my body to get stronger, I know my intro to training was not optimal to say the least. I recently have been reading stuff about DUP programming, programming in general, high frequency training, and a lot of stuff by the SS community, and by barbellmedicine.com. My only question after this load of words is if you had experienced what I had what would be your next step? I want to choose the most optimal way to apply what I've learned and get strong. LP again? Or just work on my weaknesses and don't sweat the mistakes or could have done 'that better'.

I've toyed with just running LP again with the knowledge and experience I now have, My nutrition is on point and so is my form besides still working on deadlifts. I also have thought about doing my own programming with DUP concepts.

Your next step should be to read this: Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training | The Aasgaard Company
    And this: Practical Programming for Strength Training | The Aasgaard Company
    Then this: The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe

Then, re-start a NLP at a light weight, work through it with nutrition that is better than "on point," which, since you're about 40# lighter that you need to be, minimum, never was "on point." A caloric surplus is vital for the acquisition of strength. Finish a NLP, and move into an intermediate program, and work at that for a bit. This should all take about 6-9 months. THEN come back, with a BW of 200# and a 405# 3x5 squat and a 455# pull, and tell me you need "programming with DUP concepts."
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 03-28-2017 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by williy_cole View Post

I've toyed with just running LP again with the knowledge and experience I now have, My nutrition is on point and so is my form besides still working on deadlifts. I also have thought about doing my own programming with DUP concepts.
    Dude, you need to gain weight. Eat more. It took you six months to go from a 195 lb squat to a 225lb squat and you increased your weight by only 15 lbs. You have stalled because you haven't been eating enough food. If you stuck with SS on your novice LP with enough food, rest and proper increments, you'd be squatting 400 lbs no problem after those 6 months. I'm here at about the same level as you after only a couple of months (I could have made faster progress if my diet was more consistent) and I know for a fact that I need to eat more and follow my NLP. What makes you any special? We're all the same species. Our bodies more or less react the same way to things especially to a caloric surplus. Eat more and continue your NLP. You WILL see results.

Point taken, I am not special just looking for advice.

Point taken, I am not special just looking for advice.
    Sorry, didn't mean to come across as a dick at the end there.

Quote Originally Posted by Polishdude20 View Post
    Sorry, didn't mean to come across as a dick at the end there.
    No worries man, I needed it. I am coming off an injury right now(stress and training don't mix) and had to reassess how far along I have come. Eating 3600-4000 maybe even 5000 (I currently eat 3300) calories I can easily beat my first bout with SSNLP starting at 95lbs 3x5 to 195lbs 3x5. Im pretty sure I could even beat my current 3x5 225lb/ 255lb 1RM on squats from a few weeks ago. I just know my body needs volume 531(meh) made that very apparent to me. Work hard now, look forward to powerlifting/dup/more frequency later.

No worries man, I needed it. I am coming off an injury right now(stress and training don't mix) and had to reassess how far along I have come. Eating 3600-4000 maybe even 5000 (I currently eat 3300) calories I can easily beat my first bout with SSNLP starting at 95lbs 3x5 to 195lbs 3x5. Im pretty sure I could even beat my current 3x5 225lb/ 255lb 1RM on squats from a few weeks ago. I just know my body needs volume 531(meh) made that very apparent to me. Work hard now, look forward to powerlifting/dup/more frequency later.

You may wish to read this as well: The Texas Method and 5/3/1 | Jordan Feigenbaum

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    You may wish to read this as well: The Texas Method and 5/3/1 | Jordan Feigenbaum

Thanks, already scoped it. I've been waiting for that to come out. Just gotta re run this lp then hop on so more power lifting oriented stuff. I really like training the main lifts more often and more calories makes that easier. Maybe one of the TSA freebies. Thanks again for all the help.

stress and training don't mix
    me too. When I'm feeling stress, training comes along and beats it down with a tire iron and leaves it whimpering on the curb.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    Hey Steve Started LP this Monday like you said everything feel good so far, I was just wondering if you wouldn't mind checking my form on my deadlifts from today? It's light but I wanna start off as perfect as possible and since we were already talking about programs I figured I'd just ask you if thats ok? I'll post the link when I hear back, thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast