starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift Form Check at 350

Default Deadlift Form Check at 350

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Coaches. Thanks for your help with my squat and press. Both are progressing well now that I've cleaned up some form issues. I'm looking for some comments on my deadlift.

Stats:
    Age - 32
    Weight - 225
    Height - 5'-10"

Current Working Weights:
    Squat - 285
    Deadlift - 350
    Bench - 232.5
    Press - 152.5

Notes: These felt pretty weird, and I'm not sure why. My feet may have been a little too close together.

In terms of programming the deadlift, I feel like I'm not that far away from a stall. I usually work up to my top set like this with about 6-8 minutes of rest between the last warm up and my work set: 135x5, 225x5, 275x5, 295x3, 315x3, 340x1. I alternate deadlifts with power cleans and chins. My power clean is very weak (110 lb). Food intake is OK, sleep could be better. Should I focus on recovery or try to manipulate a different variable? Thank you again.

I cannot see some important things from the back. However, it looks like you are leaving your hips too high to start. In order to break the bar off the ground, you drop your butt and then it goes. It could be that you are too close to the bar, or shifting on to your toes during the setup. Would need a video from the front oblique to say more. You may find that your deadlift keeps grinding for a while, or, if it stalls, you may need a reset on that lift. Your stance is narrow, but some people do well with their feet close together. Why the straps?

Thanks Tom. I'll get another video up after my next session.

I was trying not to drop my hips too much when I bend my knees, but I guess I need to go a little lower.

Forgot to take a video. Dropped my hips a little, widened my stance a hair, and moved the bar a little further away from my shins. Bar went up without too much difficulty--linear progression continues. Thank you.

Here's the video from today's session. Felt pretty good. Regarding straps--part of the problem is some lingering elbow and shoulder pain from before I fixed my squat grip, but the larger part is that I have small weak bitch hands and I've been dragging my feet on learning the hook grip. I use the straps on my last warm-up and my work set, the rest is un-strapped for grip work. Chins have helped increase my grip strength as well.

There's not much to learn with hook grip. You just grab your thumbs and let the discomfort wash over you like gentle waves on the shores of Lake Tahoe under a sunny sky surrounded by friends. Lose the straps at this weight barring injury. Hips are still a little high, although your first rep was good in that department. The setup steps hold the key to pulling perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    let the discomfort wash over you like gentle waves on the shores of Lake Tahoe under a sunny sky surrounded by friends.
    I'll think about this the next time my thumbs feel like they're going to rip in half. And now I reallllly want to go to tahoe

Thanks Tom. I will try to get another video up after Thursday's session so I can get some additional feedback on hip position. I will start warming up with the hook, but will continue to use the straps until I can grind through my work sets with hook grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    I cannot see some important things from the back. However, it looks like you are leaving your hips too high to start. In order to break the bar off the ground, you drop your butt and then it goes. It could be that you are too close to the bar, or shifting on to your toes during the setup. Would need a video from the front oblique to say more. You may find that your deadlift keeps grinding for a while, or, if it stalls, you may need a reset on that lift. Your stance is narrow, but some people do well with their feet close together. Why the straps?
    I noticed that the knees weren't locked out. How important is it to lock out the knees in a deadlift, outside of a meet?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Giri View Post
    I noticed that the knees weren't locked out. How important is it to lock out the knees in a deadlift, outside of a meet?
    Just watched his second video. His knees look fully extended to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast