starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check. 120kg

Default Squat form check. 120kg

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello coaches.

Squats are getting heavy and last reps become grinders so I figured I'd get a form check, see if everyting is still in balance.

Things I noticed.
    1. gaze direction isnt optimal. But kinda sucks with a wall in front of you.

2. They high? Up untill now they were on depth but im not sure now.

3. Lilttle balance problem. I think thats a combination of the gaze + rounding of upper back. Used to squat massively kypohhic, trying to fix that. Also the aggrive + center knurl bar was in use so I had to resort to this one. Its probably in my mind but somehow it "feels" the bar will slide down, so unconsciously I rotate the scapulas upward.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Squat 120kg 10/04/2017 - YouTube

Your gaze direction is not dependent upon the wall in front of you, but your tendency to throw your head back as you lift your chest. Make your stance wider. Point your toes out less. Find a point on the ground, or very low on the wall and stare at it. Keep your chin down. Drive your ass up. Start there and let's see if it cleans up some other issues along the way.

Thanks Tom!

Il make another video soon. You think adding another 5 lbs is jutstified?

And regarding the stance, a wider stances, especially at higher loads hurts my hip, mostly on the left. In other form checks it was said stance is fairly personal and I should figure out what works. I came to this... The toes out to much here to then or?

Thnxx

Quote Originally Posted by Maties Hofstede View Post
    Il make another video soon. You think adding another 5 lbs is jutstified?
    Given that I suggested a number of form changes, I think I would stay at that weight.

And regarding the stance, a wider stances, especially at higher loads hurts my hip, mostly on the left. In other form checks it was said stance is fairly personal and I should figure out what works.
    I would rather find out why your hip is hurting. My guess it would be because your knees shoot forward at the bottom, as they do above. "Find what works for you" is a familiar refrain in lifting circles. While this statement is not wrong, it is often a cover for "we don't know what to tell you."

I came to this... The toes out to much here to then or?
    I have made my suggestions above that you are free to try or ignore.