starting strength gym

Thread: Trap bar / Hex Bar question

Default Trap bar / Hex Bar question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Searched, couldn't find anything on this.
    I know a trap bar lift is not the same as either a squat or a deadlift, but I already have one and I like it. I use the lower handles and try to emulate deadlift form. I guess I just like the more natural hand grip angle and not having to worry about scraping my shins.
    I am also doing deadlifts too, but trade-off once in a while.
    So I have questions about the real differences and superiority of one over the other.
    Is there a reason the deadlift is superior to the trap-bar ? Is there a reason to not do, or even avoid the trap bar ? Is the deadlift considered superior just due to the greater back involvement associated with having to get the bar in front of the shins/knees ? etc.

Of course I can bet lots of blather on this from other sources, but I wanted the SS opinions, because they seem better based in science.

Thanks for any insights.

This has been discussed here quite a bit with Rip, the staff coaches, and lots of forum members weighing in. Check it out:

trap bar site:startingstrength.com - Google Search

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    This has been discussed here quite a bit with Rip, the staff coaches, and lots of forum members weighing in. Check it out:

trap bar site:startingstrength.com - Google Search
    Thanks! great info.
    In fact, I am embarrassed that my searching didn't bring this up earlier. I don't know what I was doing wrong.

Thanks.