starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Volume vs intensity for back rehab

Default Volume vs intensity for back rehab

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I was curious to hear from some coaches on what their opinion would be for someone either rehabbing their back, or starting training for the first time with no apparent back issues, yet a history of them. Would you recommend a program of higher volume/lower intensity or a lower v/higher int that you would get with a typical novice progression?

Kind of a wide open question I know, but just looking for some insight on various folks you have trained.

For someone rehabbing a back injury, but with a history of strength training, something that looks like the Starr Rehab Protocol would be my first port of call. For someone who is untrained, but has a history of back trouble, I would recommend the novice linear progression. Here is the thing: everyone thinks that the stock recommendations don't apply to them. In reality, the stock recommendations apply the vast majority of people.

+1.

Its not so much about relatively high load (e.g. 5 reps) or high reps (e.g. 10 reps). Its more about the distance to technical or muscular failure. In this regard, its safer to train not to complete exhaustion, or in terms of RPE: Let your back-troubled clients stay in the -8 range and theyll be much safer. Something such a trainee should automatically apply with common sense - but never underestimate the ego, especially with younger trainees.

Thou shalt not mention RPE in this context.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Thou shalt not mention RPE in this context.
    ofc i shall and i did.

Quote Originally Posted by Marenghi View Post
    ofc i shall and i did.
    If you wish for me to delete future posts of yours, please continue in this vein.

I should have been clearer. According to everything I can find on the Starr protocol, that applies to muscle issues, and I was asking more along the lines of disc issues.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Coach View Post
    I should have been clearer. According to everything I can find on the Starr protocol, that applies to muscle issues, and I was asking more along the lines of disc issues.
    I've used Starr for backs, too, including my own.

Thanks for the reply.

starting strength coach development program
    What is the reasoning behind it for back tweaks? At some point people around here wanted to use the starr protocol to cure aids, then explicitly stated it was meant for belly bruises??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast