starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check 109,5 kg - do I need a shim?

Default Squat check 109,5 kg - do I need a shim?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I`m in my 7th week of LP. This is my third work set at 109,5 kg (241 lbs). I failed my last rep (no spotters, so I didn`t want to take the risk).
    I`m 194 cm (6`4) and 91 kg (200 lbs).

I have trouble with my squat. I stalled at 100 kg (220 lbs) and after deloading and progressing, I`m reaching my limits again at 109,5 kg:

- The bar keeps leaning to my left side. It starts with descending but it`s more distinct when I ascend.
    - I have a lot of trouble trying to prevent my left knee from caving in. I`m trying to focus on it, with mixed succes.
    - It feels unbalanced. In my 3th and 4th rep, I`m clearly leaning to the left.

Could it be that a shorter left leg is causing this? My hips and back look the same as in the photo`s in the article on length leg discrepancy.
    Or is this just plain technique failure?

Thanks guys

Maybe. Only way to be sure is have someone check it.

Many, many people have LLDs and squat just fine. Because they learned to squat properly at a weight that they could make the movement pattern correct under, and then moved the weight up. It's hard to make corrections, esp around things like symetricality, when the weight is a struggle.

So, first fix your stance. Your left heel is about a half inch back from your right. Your toes aren't turned out enough. Move your HEELS closer together from this stance width, which will narrow your stance a bit and turn your toes out. Jam your knees out and MAKE THEM STAY OUT. There's nothing preventing this except your lack of volition to do so. Back the weight off to one you can squat perfectly symmetrically under, and then re-establish a linear oprogression from there. You're going to have to watch every set and make sure you don't fall into bad habits. This is where sessions with an SSC would be very handy.
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 04-13-2017 at 09:15 PM.

Thanks for the feedback, Steve. It's much appreciated.
    A session with a SSC is not possible unfortunately, I'm from Belgium. Sad panda.

Quote Originally Posted by Stvn View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, Steve. It's much appreciated.
    A session with a SSC is not possible unfortunately, I'm from Belgium. Sad panda.
    Who knows? Maybe Tom and Jordan will do another "European Vacation"!

And, I have to say, Wichita Falls is a lovely vacation destination...

But in all seriousness, get someone to measure and find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    So, first fix your stance. Your left heel is about a half inch back from your right. Your toes aren't turned out enough. Move your HEELS closer together from this stance width, which will narrow your stance a bit and turn your toes out. Jam your knees out and MAKE THEM STAY OUT. There's nothing preventing this except your lack of volition to do so. Back the weight off to one you can squat perfectly symmetrically under, and then re-establish a linear oprogression from there. You're going to have to watch every set and make sure you don't fall into bad habits. This is where sessions with an SSC would be very handy.
    I also have the same problem. Each time I squat, my left heel will be slightly behind my right. No matter how many times I try to set my heels align with each other equally, I can't seem to do it. Its possible with an empty bar, but once I add weight on the bar, this problem happens. Its hard set my heels in the proper position once there is some significant load on my back, especially if you have to keep on adjusting your foot position and looking down at your feet until it reaches proper alignment before I squat, I loose tightness and feel rather fatigue just by doing that. Even with 60kg, its difficult to set my heels to the proper alignment. During my PC, when I rack the weight, my left heels again will always be behind my right and will notice the bar leaning to the left when I rack the weight on my shoulders. Surprisingly, when I setup my PC or DL, when I look at my heels, they look aligned and feel right, with both shins one inch from the bar, but when I see a recording of myself from the front, my left heels will always be slightly behind my right.

Also, how is his toes not turned out enough currently? Or is it if you narrow the stance, you have to turn your toes out more?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Amos famous View Post
    I also have the same problem. Each time I squat, my left heel will be slightly behind my right. No matter how many times I try to set my heels align with each other equally, I can't seem to do it. Its possible with an empty bar, but once I add weight on the bar, this problem happens. Its hard set my heels in the proper position once there is some significant load on my back, especially if you have to keep on adjusting your foot position and looking down at your feet until it reaches proper alignment before I squat, I loose tightness and feel rather fatigue just by doing that. Even with 60kg, its difficult to set my heels to the proper alignment. During my PC, when I rack the weight, my left heels again will always be behind my right and will notice the bar leaning to the left when I rack the weight on my shoulders. Surprisingly, when I setup my PC or DL, when I look at my heels, they look aligned and feel right, with both shins one inch from the bar, but when I see a recording of myself from the front, my left heels will always be slightly behind my right.

Oooo-kay

Also, how is his toes not turned out enough currently?

How? Because they aren't turned out enough. That's how.

Or is it if you narrow the stance, you have to turn your toes out more?
    No, I told him to take the same stance, and then bring his heels closer together. This will have the effect of both narrowing the stance AND turning the toes out more. Close your eyes and use your giant brain to imagine how this might be.