starting strength gym

Thread: squat check please

Default squat check please

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    m, 28 yo, 6', 227 lbs, SS LP

I recently realized the error of my ways and turned the hooks around in the rack, facing away from the mirror.

Sorry about the less than ideal film angle, I'm right up in a corner.

Last set with 245
    245 - YouTube

thanks for your time

Shirley, you can see that you are way overextending your back before each rep? Your back is in correct position when you FINISH each rep, then you turn right back around and screw it up by thinking that arching your back = locking it in normal anatomical extension, which it most assuredly is not.

And yes, I called you Shirley.

Also, don't lift your elbows quite so hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    Shirley, you can see that you are way overextending your back before each rep? Your back is in correct position when you FINISH each rep, then you turn right back around and screw it up by thinking that arching your back = locking it in normal anatomical extension, which it most assuredly is not.

And yes, I called you Shirley.

Also, don't lift your elbows quite so hard.
    Ah shit Steve, I was wondering if I was doing that or not. Thanks. Didn't realize that about the elbows.

You can call me Shirley, just don't call me late for dinner.

How about this? Last set at 250. Sorry again for the poor angle. Hard to see my elbows in this one.

250 - YouTube

Better. You're still a little overextended as you unrack the bar and you start the first rep that way, but at least you don't re-set to overextension each rep now. Last problem is that these are too deep. Cut an inch out and descend at a steady pace, instead of slowing and then trying to speed up at the bottom.

starting strength coach development program
    Ok thanks. Yeah, if I don't overextend while I unrack the bar, I get a quick but noticeable pain in my low back. Maybe I'm not underneath the bar enough when I unrack or something.

This whole keeping my low back from overextending thing is turning out to be harder than I thought. I took more video today, but it looks about the same as my original form check video.

I'm not really sure what to do or think about mid set to keep it from happening. In the second video, I tried to combat it by getting my knees forward earlier and thinking about not bending over as much. Once my knees were set, I thought about just trying to sink down. I had an awkward push out of the hole each rep, though, because my back is used to being at a more closed angle coming up. Idk. Maybe it felt weird because I was going too deep like you said.

I took a video today with an empty bar. I took it to see if I was following the SS squat model correctly at its roots. I was thinking maybe I wasn't getting it right from the beginning. Should I post it so you can take a look?

Thanks for all your time so far