starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Progression for high bar squats in SS?

Default Progression for high bar squats in SS?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    First of all, I know that high bar squats are not a part of SS, I know that they are inferior to LBBS in every way. I really wish I could do LBBS but I can't.

The only reason I'm doing HBBS is because I tried for months to get my form right for LBBS and, after no improvement in form, it seems that my shoulder injury is preventing me from doing LBBS correctly (My left scapula is hanging lower than my right scapula (probably due to an accessory nerve injury from rugby) so the spine of the left scapula is lower than the spine of the right scapula so the bar is tilted down towards the left side throughout the whole squat. I also have a pretty bad anatomical kyphosis).

So the only way I can squat is by doing HBBS.

What should the progression scheme be like? Should I add 5lbs every workout, add 2-3lbs every workout (since my HBBS should be weaker than LBBS since I'm using less muscle mass with a less pronounced stretch reflex), do I do 2 resets like with LBBS or should I do 3/4 resets like with BP and OHP (again, since I use less weight with HBBS than LBBS)?

I want to move onto HLM after SS (TM won't suit me due to shit genetics) so would HBBS be a good replacement for LBBS?

Thanks

There is nothing inferior about High Bar Squats. Work them hard and you will see results.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    There is nothing inferior about High Bar Squats. Work them hard and you will see results.
    Thanks for the response.

I'd have to disagree with that. LBBS are far superior. They use more muscle mass over the same range of motion, elicit a greater stretch reflex which allows you to use more weight which allows you to get stronger quicker. They also drive progression for the deadlift.

HBBS uses less muscle mass, has less involvement of the posterior chain (due to a more vertical back angle), has a less pronounced stretch reflex which causes you to use less weight which prevents you from getting stronger quickly. The lack of involvement of the posterior chain prevents you from getting stronger quicker for the deadlift. You also look like a bodybuilder when you high bar squat which is pretty embarrassing.

So, to get back to my question, what would the progression scheme be like for HBBS during SS and are they useful for HLM?

Just do the same progression that is outlined in the book for low bar squats. The movements are not that different that you have to change the program. I squat high bar myself due to shoulder flexibility issues and I went through LP making 10 and then 5lb jumps as described in the book. I think I did two resets before finally getting up to 365x5x3 over a 4 month period. It's not like you can only squat half as much high bar or something.

And of course they are "useful for HLM". After LP I did HLM for two months and got up to 405x5.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SS2016 View Post
    Thanks for the response.

I'd have to disagree with that. LBBS are far superior. They use more muscle mass over the same range of motion, elicit a greater stretch reflex which allows you to use more weight which allows you to get stronger quicker. They also drive progression for the deadlift.

HBBS uses less muscle mass, has less involvement of the posterior chain (due to a more vertical back angle), has a less pronounced stretch reflex which causes you to use less weight which prevents you from getting stronger quickly. The lack of involvement of the posterior chain prevents you from getting stronger quicker for the deadlift. You also look like a bodybuilder when you high bar squat which is pretty embarrassing.

So, to get back to my question, what would the progression scheme be like for HBBS during SS and are they useful for HLM?
    Lol. Good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    Just do the same progression that is outlined in the book for low bar squats. The movements are not that different that you have to change the program. I squat high bar myself due to shoulder flexibility issues and I went through LP making 10 and then 5lb jumps as described in the book. I think I did two resets before finally getting up to 365x5x3 over a 4 month period. It's not like you can only squat half as much high bar or something.

And of course they are "useful for HLM". After LP I did HLM for two months and got up to 405x5.
    Yeah that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

What were your initial lifts, age, body weight etc when you started LP? 365x5x3 for HBBS after 4 months is really impressive.

Yeah that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

What were your initial lifts, age, body weight etc when you started LP? 365x5x3 for HBBS after 4 months is really impressive.
    Started LP at 165 for squats. You can check out my log in the intermediate section for more details.

Jesus Christ dude. Just squat and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the response.

I had to switch to a higher bar position back in October / November. I've trained it exactly the same as I trained the low bar variant, and had excellent progress. Since then, I've surpassed the maximum I could do with the low bar variant.

Regarding getting stronger for the deadlift - there are quite a few factors that go into deadlift progression. For me, working back squats heavy helps my deadlift. The other thing that helps my deadlift is decent programming with a suitable amount of volume. Squats help, but smart deadlift programming helps more. If you are worried about having a lower back made of glass, toss in some Romanian deadlifts. Or back extensions. Or rows. Or good mornings. Or glute-ham raises.

Why would it be embarrassing to look like a bodybuilder? Are you worried someone might accidentally mistake you for Tom Platz while doing your high bar squats?

starting strength coach development program
    I recently switched back to low-bar after training high-bar for a few months due to a shoulder problem. They really aren't that much different.

HB is less forgiving IMO -- when grinding a really hard rep, you fail faster (when your back angle gets too bent). Also, HB aggravates my knee tendons more than LB.

And LB is "easier" in the sense that you can shift more work to your hips and thus use more weight. I transitioned w/o having to reset, despite not working LB for a very long time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast