starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat check @160kg

Default Squat check @160kg

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi coaches,

Thanks for your work here, it is much appreciated! I was hoping for some pointers on my last heavy set of 5 @160kg.

Me: M, bw: 106kg, 35yrs

These felt really heavy and it was quite the grind getting them done. Looking at the video they don't seem as bad as they felt, but in my uneducated opinion, I need to control my knees better and I lift my chest on the ascent.

My lower back was really sore after this set, almost cramping. It disappeared after a short time and I also did two sets of 5 @145kg after this one with little trouble, so I am not overly worried about it, but I suspect there are more problems with my squat technique than what I mentioned above. Please advice.

Thanks in advance for you help.

You're a little erratic on depth - 1 or 2 of these were high. And you have to keep your chest up on the latter reps. Finally, work on getting your upper back tighter - drop your elbows a little bit, which will help.

Thanks a lot Steve!

That wasn't as bad as I thought. I see now that you mention it that reps 3-5 turn into goodmornings on ascent. It's connected to lack of tightness in the upper back as the goodmorning seems to happen because the bar rolls a bit forward on my back at the bottom.

Lack of depth is noted. Believe it or not, but I had problems going too low and relaxing at the bottom which is why it seems I'm over compensating now.

Thanks again, I will work on this and possibly upload a follow up video next week.

Here is my latest set with 162.5kg. I did my best to keep my upper back tighter and it seems it helped a little bit with the hip "hinge" that I have a tendency to do, although it's still there. The first three actually felt pretty good but it quickly deteriorated from there. The last rep was ugly. I feel like I need a cue for keeping my chest up on the ascent.

Here's the video

Drive your knees out harder. This will help you with depth, which is still suspect. It will also allow you to be slightly more upright. You are rounding your upper and lower back. Watch your upper back on the first part of the descent and then watch what happens as you come back up. Think of squeezing your shoulder blades together. You may need to keep your back from moving. Get tighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    Finally, work on getting your upper back tighter - drop your elbows a little bit
    I always thought elbows up = tighter upper back and vice-versa. Have I been wrong all along Steve?

Quote Originally Posted by SSDino View Post
    I always thought elbows up = tighter upper back and vice-versa. Have I been wrong all along Steve?
    We are moving away from cueing the elbows up. It can promote the rounding of the upper back. Most people don't need to try to do it, although it can still be useful for some. Never let it be said we don't change things based on our observations.

Indeed, when asshats such as I are told to keep elbows up, we overdo it. Result is slumped upper back, bar rolls forward at the bottom, hip drive turns into squatmornings and the lower back is cripplingly sore after a few work sets. Well, that's my story anyways.

If it's not too much to ask, I would like to present two videos from today's training. I was supposed to get 165kg x 5 but I only got 3 and I tried going for another triple and bailed one the 3rd. Afterwards I did 147.5x5x2 (one of which I also upload here).

165x3

147,5x5

I'm pretty sure I failed the 165kg because I haven't been able to properly implement the changes recommended by Tom and Steve (and depth is still an issue). I guess I should do a deload to work on the technique? Do you guys have an idea how much I should deload? As a reference I think my 147,5kg set shows some improvement, although I still need to work on controlling my back.

Thanks for all the help!

Take a slightly wider stance. Let's see two sets at 145. One from the rear oblique like you have been doing so far and one directly from behind.

starting strength coach development program
    Hi Tom,

I tried to take a slightly wider stance and have filmed two videos as you have requested at 145 kg (I just got back from a trip to the Chinese countryside, so the deload is welcome as I haven't had much to eat for 3 days and what I did get came out again quickly).

Here is rear oblique:

Rear:

Nick Cave's O'Malley's Bar kept playing in my head as I reviewed the video... "I've been known to be quite handsome, in a certain angle and in certain light". This is neither the angle or the light for me.

Thanks again for the help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast