starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I injured my back about a month an a half ago while squatting 240lbs. I felt a pop near my tailbone on the 1st set 5th rep when coming out of the hole. No loss of strength at the time though. In fact, I put a belt on (for the first time) and finished my sets. I had a significant amount of pain the rest of the day though, I was able to move and walk, but there was a strong ache in my back. I ended up leaving work about half way through the day and spending the afternoon/evening on a heating pad. About 80% of the pain subsided over the course of a couple of days. The rest of the pain has remained constant though. Just a slight constant ache throughout the day and night. I wake up a time or two in the night and have to change positions because I've become stiff and the ache is stronger.

I've been trying different things, including the Starr Rehab protocol, but recently found the only thing that seems to help - squatting. In hindsight though, I now know that my form was not good. I think my error was trying to lean to far forward to try to get deeper. I was moving the weight way forward past the middle of the foot and creating too much of a moment arm on my back as I'd drive up.

So now I'm trying to perfect my form. I struggle with holding my back in extension, and have found that if I'm really focusing on the back extension, I cannot get deep enough. SO I'm trying to perfect my form while following Rips advice to let the squat with weight be my stretch. Hopefully I'll be able to get deep enough in two weeks, but in the mean time...as I'm letting the movement be my stretch, how is my form? Thanks in advance

Side view hip level
    Rear view eye level
    Front view hip level

It's hard to get knees out, and hence hit a proper depth, if your stance is too wide. Narrow your stance and get your knees out over your toes. And let them come forward JUST A BIT more - you're squatting on your heels with your toes too far back in the first video. Almost all of these reps were high for this reason. Secondly, you are overextending your lumbar spine. Quit trying to arch it so hard and just stand normally under the bar, and lock your back in place using isometric (meaning NOTHING MOVES) contraction and a huge breath with tight abs - as tight as you ca squeeze them. Drop your elbows a bit you have them jacked up too high.

And read the sticky. ONE video.

Am I the only one who thinks that rack/platform setup is a little sketchy to be walking a bar backwards out of?

It's very sketchy. But I took it as the lifter's attempt to give us the viewing angle(s) needed to look at his squat. But yes, this rack/platform is obviously meant for the lifter to squat only in the cage.

Yes, I usually squat in the cage. Here's a follow up video. I tried to implement the things you suggested Steve. Thank you for your help.

starting strength coach development program
    Depth is better, but you are probably overdoing the toes out/knees out thing. Leave your toes where they are and move your heels out a touch. When you narrowed your stance, you went just a hair too far.