starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Step 4 for people who slouch

Default Deadlift Step 4 for people who slouch

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I tend to slouch, and have been thinking this week that pulling my shoulders back as part of step 4 will help me with the chest up cue and setting my back.

On page 106 of BBT3 Mark says "DO NOT try to squeeze your shoulder blades together in the back" and explains why scapular adduction is bad.

Is pulling the shoulders back something worth exploring to help with step 4 for someone who slouches? Or is that getting into the type of scapular adduction the book warns about? I'd think it would be a good thing to go from slouch to a more neutral position and that it may help with my lower back. I haven't tried it yet with the bar and I'm working at lighter weights now anyway coming back from an injury, but I deadlift tonight and want to try it.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sbrl_19 View Post
    Or is that getting into the type of scapular adduction the book warns about?
    Bingo. Don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by sbrl_19 View Post
    Thanks.
    Welcome.

So... Is there a difference between thinking Chest up and Shoulders togethor or? I try to think "Chest Up" now and try to push as hard as I can but my shoulders still round slightly especially the two last reps. I tend to lose thoracic extension so it seems that I'm weak at that. Is this something that should be addressed or is it normal Wolf?

Quote Originally Posted by SSDino View Post
    So... Is there a difference between thinking Chest up and Shoulders togethor or?
    I think this is a separate question/issue than the second half of your post so I separated them. But I'm not 100% sure.

Anyway - yes. "Chest up" or "squeeze chest up," is the common cue we give in the DL for Step 4, for people to get their backs from flexed/rounded to extended/flat. It has nothing to do with retracting the scapulas (or scapulae, if you prefer). Not shoulders together.

Quote Originally Posted by SSDino View Post
    I try to think "Chest Up" now and try to push as hard as I can but my shoulders still round slightly especially the two last reps. I tend to lose thoracic extension so it seems that I'm weak at that. Is this something that should be addressed or is it normal Wolf?
    I'd really need to see a vid. If a post-novice lifter wants to use a rigidly held thoracic flexion in a deadlift, that's fine with me, so long as the lumbar is extended and the thoracic flexion doesn't continue to move/flex further over the course of the pull.