starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check 385x5

Default Deadlift form check 385x5

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thanks in advance, coaches.

1. I kicked the bar ahead of midfoot before I pulled the 1st rep (and less drastically on some others). Not sure why, but I'll be a little more deliberate in the future.

2. Is what I'm doing on the 4th and 5th reps bad? (Is it ramping?) If so, what can I do to fix it?

3. Does my ass look fat?

Your ass looks phenomenal. Despite that, rear oblique is not the ideal position for filming deadlifts. Front oblique is better. Mostly from the side, but enough to the front that the plates don't obscure the shins.

Also, avoid the rebending of the knees near the top. That will get you red lights at a meet and is a bad habit in general. Once your knees straighten out, keep them that way.

I would like to see you do a better job of setting your back in extension on each rep. The belt may be fighting you in that endeavor. In general, you are rushing through the setup. You tend to leave your hips too high and then you don't squeeze up into extension. Stay in the midfoot and don't rock on to your toes when you bring your shins to the bar. This will get your butt slightly lower. Then, arch your back. It will be uncomfortable. There will be suffering and, lo, it will be good. So sayeth I.

Thanks, Tom. I had a feeling I was rushing the setup. These felt way harder than they look, and I only got 3 reps at this weight the week before. I think I went overboard psyching myself up.

I'll film a front view this week.

Here's a front oblique view of today's 390x5

Narrow your stance a little. Still rushing the setup. Squeeze up and pause half a second. Don't drop your ass when you set your back in extension. Then, squeeze the bar off the floor. As you fatigue, fight the tendency to flex your spine. Keep trying to arch your back as the bar comes off the ground.

I crashed and burned on 395 yesterday. Here's the video. I tried to slow down setup and pause before pulling.

I also did a backoff of 355x5, which is here. I notice my back slightly unlocking on the 1st and 5th reps, but not the middle reps. Guessing I need to concentrate more on my back on the first rep.

Should I deload? I haven't reset my deadlift since I started LP in October, but I'm also wondering if this was just a bad day since I went from 390x5 last week to 395x1 this week.

This is the 395. However, I have seen much worse. Try 395 again next week. It might go.

I'm sure you get this a lot, but you were right.

I still feel like my hips are rocking back/down slightly before I pull. Should I worry about this?

Just don't rush your setup so much. Pause a half second before you pull and that should prevent you from bumping the bar. Nice work.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for all the help.