starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Considerations for an individual with extra lumbar vertebrae?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Swogger might be in the market for your L6, Aaron.

Mr. Swogger,

Stories like your's are what keep myself and a lot of other people going. I certainly can't relate to what you've been through but when I read your article a few months ago it motivated me tremendously. If (or when) they peel me open to fix everything, I'll have them box it up for you. Hell, I'll even deliver it myself, that way you could give me some deadlift and squat pointers. Keep up the amazing work!

Well, after multiple attempts to correct my squat issues today, I've come to believe my hyperlordosis and spondylolisthesis is to blame for my poor mechanics and form. I'm having a very difficult time keeping my lower back and hips set. I tried clamping down/crunching my abs as tight as possible but when doing so my lower back feels as if it is in major flexion and all of the load wants to shift forward onto my forefoot/toes. I understand that this feeling may be something I need to get accustomed to. Do you guys have any advice regarding methods to get my lumber spine out of its hyperlordotic state?

I would suggest that you pay a visit to Randy Winfrey. He's about a half an hour away from you and will be able to tell you a lot more than we can from the Internet.

Will do. I'll give him a call tomorrow. Thanks again for all your help!

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by AaronH View Post
    Well, after multiple attempts to correct my squat issues today, I've come to believe my hyperlordosis and spondylolisthesis is to blame for my poor mechanics and form. I'm having a very difficult time keeping my lower back and hips set. I tried clamping down/crunching my abs as tight as possible but when doing so my lower back feels as if it is in major flexion and all of the load wants to shift forward onto my forefoot/toes. I understand that this feeling may be something I need to get accustomed to. Do you guys have any advice regarding methods to get my lumber spine out of its hyperlordotic state?
    Are you wearing a good, tight leather belt? I'd say that's a necessity if you have hyperlordosis...and not just for worksets.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    Are you wearing a good, tight leather belt? I'd say that's a necessity if you have hyperlordosis...and not just for worksets.
    Yes. It's a Profitness 4" leather belt. I have been wearing it only in my work sets but I'll start wearing it during warm-ups as well. The extra support can't hurt. I recently dropped the squat weight back 40 lbs to 205 and I'm still struggling with my hyperlordosis. My back wants to go into extension all the time. I have found that if I set my abs hard and point my chest at the ground, my form looks better to me and it even helps with my knees going forward but I'm not the person to make that call. I'm currently scheduling some personalized coaching with Mr. Randy Winfrey. I think he will set me on the right track. In the interim, I will post another form check here this week to see what you all think. Thanks!

There is always this guy: Lamar Gant & Joe Bradley | Marty Gallagher

I was born without a L5-S1 disc I guess. Smashed up the next two up BASE jumping. My back fucks with me constantly but looking at that guy always gives me hope.

I've been focusing on crunching my abs and keeping my chest pointed at the ground. I'm scheduling some SS coaching sessions around the first of June but I'm doing the best I can for now.Please let me know what you think. Thank you!
    205 form check 5-09-17 - YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    You are still on your toes and your knees are going too far forward. Hold your knees back more and think "heels."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12