starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considerations for an individual with extra lumbar vertebrae?

Default Considerations for an individual with extra lumbar vertebrae?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello all,

This is my first post here. I've been lurking for a while and taking in as much info as possible.

Stats:
    Male
    32 years old
    6'-1"
    245 lbs
    44" waist at belly button
    34" inseam (floor to balls)
    50" chest
    76" wingspan

I'm about 7 weeks into the SSLP. Of course it's working and my lifts are all increasing but I have a few concerns about my back and hips. I was born with an additional vertebrae in my lumbar spine. It's not terribly uncommon. According to my orthopedic surgeon about 10 percent of the population has this issue. it's basically an "L-6". Are there any phenomena or considerations I need to be aware of as I continue with my progress? I'm no special snowflake but I do have an extra bone and disc in my spine. Thanks for all of your help!

Aaron

I think you do kind of qualify as being a special snowflake. With that said, provided you are not in pain, I would just keep moving along and lifting.

Thank you Tom. I plan to proceed as usual. There is always some pain but I've gotten pretty used to it and it definitely tells me when to stop. I plan on posting some videos of my squat to work out some form issues which I think are caused by my spine situation. Thank you for your time!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    I think you do kind of qualify as being a special snowflake. With that said, provided you are not in pain, I would just keep moving along and lifting.
    Agreed here. But I'm somewhat skeptical that a full 10% of the population has an extra lumbar vertebra. Can any of our PTs or docs confirm or deny?

The 10% seemed a bit strange to me as well but im under the assumption that's it could be very possible. It's definitely genetic. My sister has the same anomaly. She had surgery in 2004. I believe it was a lamenectomy of the L6 to the S-1. Basically the surgeon removed a piece of her hip bone and used it as well as some screws and rods to fuse her vertebrae together. The medical terms all go way above my head. I also have spondylolisthesis from the genetic condition. It's a terrible combo when it wants to be but has been manageable so far. The only activities that I know for sure to cause aggravation are high impacts like sprinting, jumping, and falling on my ass.

I've attached a video of my latest squats. Please let me know what you think. Thank you again for all of your time and assistance.

Aaron

240x5 check - YouTube

I also have an extra lumbar vertebra. I have had loads of trouble squatting properly, my most vexing problem being a relentless hip shimmy. I don't know if the extra vertebra causes the shimmy, but I'm guessing it plays a role (I also have a leg length discrepancy, which may contribute as well). My theory is that the extra vertebra enables more spinal movement, which is not a good thing when you have a loaded bar on your back. Anyway, about 9 months ago I started getting regular, in-person coaching from the wonderful Niki Sims, and I am finally able to squat (mostly) without lateral sway and (even better) without pain. Oddly enough, deadlifts have never hurt, even though I was also shimmying during my pulls.

My two cents is that you should keep doing what you're doing, but be scrupulous about form, stay as tight as possible, and get some in-person coaching ASAP if you start experiencing pain. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by AaronH View Post
    The 10% seemed a bit strange to me as well but im under the assumption that's it could be very possible. It's definitely genetic. My sister has the same anomaly. She had surgery in 2004. I believe it was a lamenectomy of the L6 to the S-1. Basically the surgeon removed a piece of her hip bone and used it as well as some screws and rods to fuse her vertebrae together. The medical terms all go way above my head. I also have spondylolisthesis from the genetic condition. It's a terrible combo when it wants to be but has been manageable so far. The only activities that I know for sure to cause aggravation are high impacts like sprinting, jumping, and falling on my ass.

I've attached a video of my latest squats. Please let me know what you think. Thank you again for all of your time and assistance.

Aaron

240x5 check - YouTube
    You have a tendency to be forward both on the way down and the way up. This encourages you to overextend your low back. Don't let your knees go quite so far forward. Send your butt back and lean over. Think "chest down." Don't arch your back aggressively out of the bottom. Stay with your hips. See if that helps.

I will definitely try that out. I'll remove some weight and work on the form. I'll post another video in a week or so. Thank you all very much for all your help. It is greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    I agree with continuing to lift normally.

Congenital anatomic anomalies of all sorts are common and do not usually cause pain in and of themselves. If you have pain, it's likely due to something other than the mere presence of an extra vertebra.

starting strength coach development program
    All these dudes with extra vertebrae...motherfuckers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast