starting strength gym

Thread: Checking knee slide

Default Checking knee slide

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

This is set 8 of 4 with 207.5kg. Am I controlling my knees sufficiently well, please? To me it looks like they get in the correct position about 1/2 way in the descent but should be in contact with the TUBOW longer coming out of the hole.

I've been having some patellar tendonitis in my left knee recently and my squat strength has dipped a bit as a result. Sometimes it flares up a bit after squats. Pin squats don't annoy it as much. It's been getting better since I started using the TUBOW and - at the recommendation of Dr Petrizzo - a patellar strap.

I just want to confirm I'm not making any mistakes here that are likely to aggravate it. Thanks.

Knees will often come back almost immediately on the ascent. That is nothing to worry about. Your depth is, indeed, borderline here. I wonder if your knees are going out enough? That may solve your minor knee slide and depth issues in one fell swoop. Can you get me a shot from behind, even if I cannot see all of your upper body? We'll see if my suspicions are borne out.

Thanks, Tom - great advice! Now I think about it, on the few reps where I feel I've really nailed knees out recently (judging by the tension in my adductors), everything has felt better.

100% agree on depth. I haven't been happy with it for a while now. Remember Cersei's Walk of Shame in GoT? I feel like I need someone ringing a bell and shouting 'SHAME' after every rep. I'm pretty sure that before I got patellar pain I was getting the last inch of depth my letting my knees punch forwards. Maybe I'm tentative about going deeper for fear of getting pain if do that? If so, that'd be really dumb because deeper with knees out harder is safer for the patellar.

Is this angle from the same workout any good? If not, I'll get another one at my next workout. Thanks again for the help - much appreciated.

Nine triples with 210 today. I can't remember what set this was.

Yeah, I would like to see your knees go out a little more. I think this will tighten things up for you. Consider making your stance a half inch narrower and then driving your knees out more.

Thanks as always, Tom.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Knowland View Post
    Thanks as always, Tom.
    Any time, man. It is good to hear from you.