starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This is a serious question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Whenever I do get a massage, I usually ask for a male if I feel like I need a strong massage. With that said, however, the most intense and painful deep tissue sports massage I ever received was from a Russian woman in Emeryville, CA exactly 11 years ago. That's how memorable and intense it was. I was sore for a few days. And it wasn't the "I'm gonna dig into your spine with my elbow" kind of massage, but more like "I can choke a bear with my bare hands with this strength" kind of thing.

Thanks for the replies. Having never gotten a massage before, how do I determine who's doing a good job? I don't want to get a massage just so I can feel good. My goal is to get rid of this lingering pain in my low back. I've tried one chiropractor and, and gave up on him after 4 visits. His adjustments seemed to aggravate more than help. I'm going to try a new chiropractor this week, who specializes in soft tissue mobilization and trigger point therapy. I have a SS online coach, and she's doing great at helping me with my form. I'm still having pain though, and hoping a deep tissue massage might help. I'm not afraid of pain during the massage. I guess I'll just have to start somewhere and see how my back feels afterward?

Same.

I used to go to Chinese massage places, but I found a guy who is a powerlifter himself and works with most of the national level powerlifters in the area. My recommendation would be to find someone who actually works with athletes and has lots of positive testimonials from them.

You could go to the ART website and check for certified practitioners. This is the only way I can think of to wittle down the list.

pro tip:

get your "massage" first thing when they open, or when their shift first starts.

they get tired as time drags on over the day.

I've noticed the difference with the same person morning vs. afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Do you really get anything out of having someone go that hard? All I got was sore. I don't get massages often, but I've had much better results with a more moderate massage than an overly aggressive one.
    I will preface by fully accepting the fact that massage may do no more than "feel good" and have no physiological/mechanical benefit, but I often walk out of the office with the sensation of feeling a bit less creaky overall. Generally those types of massages are when I'm getting my quads and IT bands hammered out, and I never have residual pain or any type of bruising. I once had my RMT work on my quads vigorously, front squatted less than 12 hours later, and those turned out to be the best looking front squats I've ever done. Again, not claiming anything other than correlation, and my improved front squat performance may be attributed to 60 minutes of trying not to cry or get an erection.

Quote Originally Posted by scoTTTimo View Post
    I've tried one chiropractor and, and gave up on him after 4 visits. His adjustments seemed to aggravate more than help. I'm going to try a new chiropractor this week, who specializes in soft tissue mobilization and trigger point therapy.
    If a chiropracter sees you more than about twice, you are being played.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by m_sporkboy View Post
    If a chiropracter sees you more than about twice, you are being played.
    Oh yeah? Do others agree with this?

I'm seeing a different Chiropractor now. This guy does manual adjustments (like the 1st guy), but he also does trigger point therapy. I usually see improvement at first, but almost within an hour or two my pain returns partially...then is back in full by evening.

I am also seeing an ART therapist. Tonight will be my 2nd appointment with him, so the jury is out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12