starting strength gym

Thread: Nerve injury?

Default Nerve injury?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I posted this in the recovery section but got no responses so I thought I'd stick it up here.

Hopefully some MDs or anyone who knows anything about nerve injuries can help me out here.

Last year, I noticed my left shoulder was hanging lower than my right shoulder and generally felt weaker than my right, especially when pressing. I have a lot of clicking in my shoulder when moving it but no pain associated with the clicking. I have some pretty bad tingling around my left scapular area which occurs when sitting down at my table studying. I also have pain in my posterior delt. I think this injury came from rugby a few years ago which has got progressively worse but I'm not certain.

Over the last week, I noticed that my left eyelid/eyebrow area was twitching pretty violently. It would come at different times during the day and can last up to 15 mins.

This morning, I noticed my left bicep was twitching. It would twitch non stop for 5 mins, go away, then come back like an hour later.

None of these symptoms present on my right side.

The unilateral nature of these symptoms leads me to believe that it's a nerve injury but I am uncertain.

I have a referral for an MRI I was going to get done on my shoulder but I'm considering going to my GP and get a referral for my neck. He's pretty clueless when it comes to these type of injuries.

Does anyone know what's going on?

Someone with some more medical training could confirm this, but I doubt your muscle spasms in your eye and biceps are related to your shoulder issue. You may well have some nerve entrapment on the one arm. One of my arms tends to go numb when I go for long walks or runs. Started happening in my 20s back when I was a runner. My fix was slouch a bit. For real. When I really stand up straight and keep my shoulders pulled back and then walk or run for distance, my arm starts to tingle and go numb. Slouching almost immediately relieves it. That may have nothing to do with you, however. It was just fun to write about.

My suggestion is that unless your symptoms are getting markedly worse that you just continue to go about business as usual. Work around it and train. Human bodies are actually very poorly put together and prone to annoying and sometimes catastrophic malfunction. Then again, perhaps this is the precursor to a stroke. In which case, it probably already happened since it took me a week to get to this. I hope that is not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    One of my arms tends to go numb when I go for long walks or runs. Started happening in my 20s back when I was a runner. My fix was slouch a bit.
    One of my arms tends to go numb when I go for long walks. My fix is to put my hand in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by SS2016 View Post
    I posted this in the recovery section but got no responses so I thought I'd stick it up here.

Hopefully some MDs or anyone who knows anything about nerve injuries can help me out here.

Last year, I noticed my left shoulder was hanging lower than my right shoulder and generally felt weaker than my right, especially when pressing. I have a lot of clicking in my shoulder when moving it but no pain associated with the clicking. I have some pretty bad tingling around my left scapular area which occurs when sitting down at my table studying. I also have pain in my posterior delt. I think this injury came from rugby a few years ago which has got progressively worse but I'm not certain.

Over the last week, I noticed that my left eyelid/eyebrow area was twitching pretty violently. It would come at different times during the day and can last up to 15 mins.

This morning, I noticed my left bicep was twitching. It would twitch non stop for 5 mins, go away, then come back like an hour later.

None of these symptoms present on my right side.

The unilateral nature of these symptoms leads me to believe that it's a nerve injury but I am uncertain.

I have a referral for an MRI I was going to get done on my shoulder but I'm considering going to my GP and get a referral for my neck. He's pretty clueless when it comes to these type of injuries.

Does anyone know what's going on?
    So you have a "tight" trapezius on one side. The uneven shoudler is nothing to worry about i think, just happens.
    If the problem is sitting, sit less. Move around every 30 min or so. As tom mentions, its probably a posture problem, either to slouched or to errect. I have shoulder issues in winter, because its cold and i always shrug my shoulders for extended periods of time outdoors.

Dont know how serious you train, but as rip and other ssc have pointes out, a lot of these things prolly go away when you get stronger. Since I had my bench form checked (never had my scapulas retracted - impingement) and started to ohp regularly ALL those tjny annoying lil aches went Away as snow for the sun. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Baraki View Post
    I love how one of the explanations is "the weirdness of biology". Too true.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Baraki View Post
    In this article, it mentions muscles in constant contraction, and the evidence is that when under anesthesia the muscles will shrink when cut after they are supposedly paralyzed. I'm curious why this can't be explained as the muscle just being under tension from being pulled apart towards its anchoring points on the skeleton, and when cut, the tension is relieved causing the shrinking? Muscle tone, to me, sounds like the muscles natural resting point in constant tension but not always holding a sort of isometric contraction. Obviously, the doctors writing the article have more knowledge than me, but a quick google search didn't help, so here I am.

Do some reading on sliding filament theory of muscular contraction and you will get a better hold of what is happening at the cellular and sub-cellular level when your muscles contract. Your muscles are not rubber bands and tonus comes from low levels of motor unit recruitment.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Do some reading on sliding filament theory of muscular contraction and you will get a better hold of what is happening at the cellular and sub-cellular level when your muscles contract. Your muscles are not rubber bands and tonus comes from low levels of motor unit recruitment.
    Yup, there was more to the story. This helps explain some other questions I had as well. Thanks a ton, Tom. Now I have a bit more ammunition to use on the bro-scientists I have attracted as friends.