starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is a serious question

Thumbs up This is a serious question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Please don't mock me.

I want to get a deep tissue massage for some back pain, and I'm a 6'3 man. Is it recommended to get it from a man or a woman? My concern is whether a woman's hands would be big/strong enough to manipulate the tissue.

...ok mock me if you like, but at least answer my question when you're done.

I would say that the sex of the body worker is less important than their skill, strength, and viciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Theban93 View Post
    ... Aight.
    Now, now. I did not actually write that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Now, now. I did not actually write that.
    Did you think it?

I've had 200 lb guys give me light ineffective massages, and 95 lb women just tear into the muscle like a bulldog.
    It's more about leveraging their body weight than it is about size or strength of the hands/arms.

It does indeed depend on the skill of the practitioner, but when a 90 lb woman puts all her weight on the point of her elbow and digs in, I doubt very many people would find that "too light".

The most effective (and uncomfortable) massages I've ever gotten were from a 120 lb woman in her early 60's. She specialized in trigger point massage and really knew what she was doing. Skill is more important than size or gender even you're looking for a masseuse.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

My younger brother was a collegiate baseball pitcher who (naturally) had shoulder issues from time to time. He went to a sport massage place that knew what they were doing. He saw two therapists there, one a larger male and one a small female. Both could dig into his upper back equally effectively, and he found neither experience pleasant while the massage was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    I would say that the sex of the body worker is less important than their skill, strength, and viciousness.
    I agree with this, a vicious massage has more to do with personality than strength. I saw at least 10 RMTs before I found a girl who grew up on a farm and took my challenge to inflict pain upon me very seriously. She was so good that I would get eyelid twitches caused by my reluctance to show pain, though it was excruciating. Took Rip's advice and started having a double scotch before each appointment.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle View Post
    I saw at least 10 RMTs before I found a girl who grew up on a farm and took my challenge to inflict pain upon me very seriously. She was so good that I would get eyelid twitches caused by my reluctance to show pain, though it was excruciating.
    Do you really get anything out of having someone go that hard? All I got was sore. I don't get massages often, but I've had much better results with a more moderate massage than an overly aggressive one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast