starting strength gym

Thread: Starting Strength after 5/3/1...

Default Starting Strength after 5/3/1...

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Everyone,

Has anyone here come back to Starting Strength (Squat/Bench/Deads and Squat/Press/PC) after running 5/3/1? I searched for this, but all I could find was posts about people coming back to SS after a layoff.

Anyways...
    Some background, I'm a 44 year old male. I was doing a similar LP before when I started to stall(on some of the lifts), so (instead of grinding it out) I switched to a full body 5/3/1 routine thinking I was ready for a switch. I really enjoyed it and did have some success; however, after about 8 months - my sessions started taking over and hour and half and i was getting really sore. So after a prescribed deload, I started running Starting Strength again. I feel great, my sessions are not taking as long and I really appreciate just added weight to the bar instead of working on percentages.

I am just curious if anyone else done this? What kind of success? Any suggestions? Did you start lighter(FYI, I started light on Squats and Deads due to increased frequency, but for bench and press, i used the suggested method stated in SS); if so, did you find it helpful? Did you progress further than before(if you were running SS?), the same; less(I really hope not)?

Let me just be clear, I did really enjoy 5/3/1 and I plan on going back. But for now, I feel running SS is the right thing for me to do.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

This section is moderated and can take some time before you get your replies approved. It sounds like you want to have an open discussion asking other forum members for their opinions, rather than specifically asking the coaches' advice - that's fine, but if that's the case, you should probably go to the unmoderated programming section downstairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    This section is moderated and can take some time before you get your replies approved. It sounds like you want to have an open discussion asking other forum members for their opinions, rather than specifically asking the coaches' advice - that's fine, but if that's the case, you should probably go to the unmoderated programming section downstairs.
    Thank you. I'll repost. I appreciate the direction.

I accidentally post in the moderated forum again. Feel free to delete

No prob, BuffDrinks.

My thoughts, if you care, are that if you can complete a Starting Strength Linear Progression workout - with 3x5 squats and bench or press, and 1x5 DL or 5x3 power cleans - in significantly less than 90 minutes, you're probably still indeed somewhere on the Novice spectrum, as we define it. And thus will benefit from finishing out your LP.