starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Form Check Please

Default Squat Form Check Please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Tom and the rest of this knowledgeable community,

I would like a squat form check please: Squat Form Check 5-15-2017 - YouTube
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wB_SaTbkAi8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thank you in advance for your advice. I'm anticipating hearing from you that my knees loosen and turn inward as I start my ascent, causing the chest to dip as the hips come up. I am getting low back pain after each workout, presumably because the lumbar has to support the weight of the bar as I bring it back up like a good morning. I just noticed this when studying the video before posting it, but I think it's still worth getting input from others, which is much appreciated. I'm sure there are other issues as well.

I video every workout and am trying to nail down the squat form. I'm five weeks into my second attempt at the novice LP. First attempt was derailed in February by squat form and life, but I'm back on the horse with better equipment. A graph of my progress is below for context; apologies if this is too many things for one post.

Thank you!
    Erich

Your descent is a little slow. Go down faster. You may need a slightly wider stance, too. Just a little, with knees out more. Who diagnosed you with the leg length discrepancy?

Thanks for the reply!

I was diagnosed with LLD by a chiropractor years ago. Used to have a 1/2" build on all my shoes, but eventually found that caused as many problems as it solved. But when I started lifting it felt much better with a half-inch shim under my left foot as the weight went up. I use it for all standing lifts with mostly good results. However lately I've noticed a slight soreness in my left hip after squatting. I've read Rip's article on the subject - do you have any advice?

I've been re-reading the book, watching videos, and trying the "terribly useful block of wood" trick to find the right position for my knees & hips in the squat, with some mixed results. Going faster makes sense, never thought about that. Will incorporate Tom's advice and report back after Friday's workout.

If you have a genuinely short leg, then a shim is the best course of action. Let's see a video directly from behind, if you can.

Well it turns out I'm an idiot. Was planning to video sets with / without the shim for comparison, but as soon as I stopped using the shim I didn't want to go back. Low back and hip feel better so far after a full workout with no shim, despite some unfortunate rounding.

So thanks Tom for fixing that problem. Now if only I could squat worth a darn:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7If_9KQehVE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's my 3rd work set at 200 lb without the shim. In the context of my temporarily weak state, this is a PR, but I'm not particularly proud of it. If you think you see a LLD let me know, or if you have any other advice I would love to hear it.

I need a link, not an iframe embed code here.

Sorry, try this. Last set from tonight's workout. Staying at 200 lb until form is reasonably perfect.

Squat check 200 lb 6/13/17 - YouTube

Keep your chin down. Stop arching your back at the start. Widen your stance slightly and turn your toes out more. Stay tighter. Keep your chin down on the ascent. Shift to the right a little so you are pushing evenly with both feet.

Thanks coach. Here's my attempt:
    Squat check 200 lb 6/15/17 - YouTube

What I'm thinking:
    1. Wide stance, toes out
    2. Chin down, look 4-5 ft in front of me
    3. Huge breath, tight core
    4. Hips way back, knees forward, horizontal back
    5. Fast & deep, stretch hamstrings
    6. Chin down, chest up (think thoracic flexion may be an issue, based on reading some of your other threads)
    7. Weight right, hip drive straight up.

starting strength coach development program
    Move your stance an inch wider. Toes out even more. Now, look what your upper back and shoulders are doing on the descent. Your upper back is rounding significantly and your elbows are rising. Let's fix that. Keep your elbows in place on the descent. Do not allow your shoulders to overextend and lift the elbows as you approach the bottom. Think of pinching your shoulder blades back behind you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast