starting strength gym

Thread: Novice LP limits

Default Novice LP limits

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Greetings Staff Coaches,

My question is about what to expect from a novice LP for a certain demographic of trainee. My sister is just starting to do The Program. She's in her mid-thirties, is 5'0" tall, and of average athletic ability (at best). Of course I understand no one can predict how any one individual will perform, but I'm wondering if you have some approximations, as this is a significantly deviation from the "typical" trainee demographic She's read the book and has asked for a bit of coaching on her form and also programming - she did 3x5x50# for her first squat workout and has increased by 5#/workout and just did 60#. I suspect that 5# jumps may not be tenable for much longer. Can you advice on what to expect?

Thanks,
    Aron

Quote Originally Posted by joeblow View Post
    Of course I understand no one can predict how any one individual will perform
    You answer your own question. And lots of athletically average 5' 30-something females have done the program. Add weight in the squat and DL in 5 lb increments until she can't anymore, then use 2.5 lb jumps. Use 1-2 lbs for the press and bench. The advanced novice program, when appropriate, and 5 sets of 3 instead of 3 sets of 5 for female trainees are applicable as well. Don't waste time trying to guess.

This all assumes she's doing what it takes to recover. If not, her LP will be shorter.