starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift anthropometry

Default Deadlift anthropometry

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Since everyone's deadlift knee, hip and back angles are a bit different in their setup, does this affect the recruitment of the muscle chain that performs the deadlift? In other words, if my back angle is more horizontal than someone with a more upright back angle, while still in the proper setup position, is their any differences in what activates or "pulls" first?

A simple question, but a perplexing one for my tiny brain.

I don't think you will see a difference in what contracts first since just about everything contracts at the same time. However, based on the moment forces applied to the segments, different muscle groups will produce more or less force based on anthropometries. The hamstrings and spinal erectors will have more work to do in someone with a fairly horizontal back angle than someone with a more vertical back angle, for example.

The latest article on dead-lift mechanics really cleared me up on my question. Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    I don't think you will see a difference in what contracts first since just about everything contracts at the same time. However, based on the moment forces applied to the segments, different muscle groups will produce more or less force based on anthropometries. The hamstrings and spinal erectors will have more work to do in someone with a fairly horizontal back angle than someone with a more vertical back angle, for example.
    Then why do people with more horizontal back angles (ie long legs, short torso, long arms) have an easier time deadlifting?

Quote Originally Posted by tfranc View Post
    Then why do people with more horizontal back angles (ie long legs, short torso, long arms) have an easier time deadlifting?
    Those people don't necessarily have horizontal back angles. They will often have normal back angles due to their long arms. Since their torsos are short, the erectors and hamstrings do not have as much moment force to overcome as someone with a long torso at the same angle.