starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Dear coaches of SS,

Here is a video of me squatting. My main issue right now: I don't feel like I am leaning forward enough, but at the same time, when I do try to be more horizontal, I feel as though I'm gonna fall forward. I don't know if my lack of forward lean is a problem or if that's just how my squat looks because of my build. I have quite short legs if that matters. Also I know I'm not supposed to look down between my feet when squatting, it's a habit that I'm getting rid of now. But looking a bit more forward doesn't make it easier for me to forward lean.

Hope you'll have a look at my video

Thanks

Oliver

Don't think about leaning forward. Instead, think of pushing your butt back. You are correct that you are a little too upright, but you will fix that by getting more of your mass behind the midfoot. To stay in balance, you will lean over a little more. Also, you are kind of overdoing the look down cue. Chin can be up a little.

Hi again,

Thanks for the reply. I've been working on the squat and things were getting better, but now I've run into a new problem that I haven't experienced before. The last three times I've been training, I've experienced a sharp, intense pain down through my left leg during squats. Like I said, it started three sessions ago on my very last set of squats. Next session it came back on my second set, and in todays session, it started immediately after my first set (and the pain is getting worse). I can't pinpoint one exact location of the pain, but I'd say it's strongest in the middle of my left thigh. It seems to start right on top of the left buttock, go down through the buttock a down through the thigh (both hamstring and quad), continuing into the knee and even further down the leg where it get's less intense. But it's definitely sharpest in the thigh. It makes it very painful to push the knees out when squatting; it almost forces my knees to cave in, because the pain is too much if I try to push them ou. While the pain is peaking, it's so intense that I can barely stand up - have to sit down, preferably on the floor with my leg stretched out. After an hour it's still there, but not as intense. Next day it's almost completely gone. Do you know what is causing this? I of course have a video of me squatting today. This was the set that really started the pain today. I know it's not the best footage, but it's all I have right now. I'll try to get some better footage next time:

Squat leg pain - YouTube

I need to see better video, but you are crashing into the bottom of the squat and going too deep. Your knees are also sliding forward as this happens. Don't let go as you get near the bottom. Stay tight. Squat higher.

OK, Cheers Tom, I know the footage is horrible - sorry about that.

So is "divebombing" known to cause hip pain? It's something I have a tendency to do as the load gets heavier, because the bounce into the hole seems to help - but I guess it isn't a healthy kind of bounce.

I'll rest for a bit and see if cutting the depth helps

starting strength coach development program
    Crashing into the bottom of the squat coupled with the knees shooting forward is a frequently reported cause of hip pain. There is even a section in Starting Strength that describes why this is.