starting strength gym

Thread: Realistic Expectations

Default Realistic Expectations

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi coaches, I'm starting the SSLP for the first time and would be grateful for your opinion on what realistic expectations for me on the program would be.

I previously did a 5x5 LP for about 12 weeks, after which I tried the Juggernaut Method for a while (essentially a modified 5/3/1). In hindsight I regret switching programs since I really didn't stall on any lifts except the press - I went to Juggernaut as it allowed me to do one main lift followed by an endurance/ metcon workout 4x per week. Here are my previous best lifts from about 6 months ago (didn't max or re-test with Juggernaut since always sub-maximal):

Squat: 265x5 (300x1)
    Deadlift: 327x4 (predicted 1RM ~350)
    Bench: 180x5 (220x1)
    Press: 105x5 (120x1)

30 yrs old, 6'2, 203lbs

Prior to the 5x5 program my best squat was around 220x1 and deadlift 295x1. I'll be starting the weights relatively low as it's been a while since actually going heavy on a LP and plan stick to the program as long as I can continue making gains, although I realize it won't be as long as for someone brand new. I'll also be cutting out the endurance/ metcon workouts per the program.

While I realize you can't give an exact number for a specific person, in your experience how long would you generally expect linear progress to last (or to what weight)? I'm thinking more in terms of "if you aren't making at least X amount of progress YNDTP". Thanks for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmi View Post
    Hi coaches, I'm starting the SSLP for the first time and would be grateful for your opinion on what realistic expectations for me on the program would be.

I previously did a 5x5 LP for about 12 weeks, after which I tried the Juggernaut Method for a while (essentially a modified 5/3/1). In hindsight I regret switching programs since I really didn't stall on any lifts except the press - I went to Juggernaut as it allowed me to do one main lift followed by an endurance/ metcon workout 4x per week. Here are my previous best lifts from about 6 months ago (didn't max or re-test with Juggernaut since always sub-maximal):

Squat: 265x5 (300x1)
    Deadlift: 327x4 (predicted 1RM ~350)
    Bench: 180x5 (220x1)
    Press: 105x5 (120x1)

30 yrs old, 6'2, 203lbs

Prior to the 5x5 program my best squat was around 220x1 and deadlift 295x1. I'll be starting the weights relatively low as it's been a while since actually going heavy on a LP and plan stick to the program as long as I can continue making gains, although I realize it won't be as long as for someone brand new. I'll also be cutting out the endurance/ metcon workouts per the program.

While I realize you can't give an exact number for a specific person, in your experience how long would you generally expect linear progress to last (or to what weight)? I'm thinking more in terms of "if you aren't making at least X amount of progress YNDTP". Thanks for your time.
    Your squat will go to exactly 331.7862 lbs x 5 reps (one of which will be exactly 0.4 inches above parallel) x 3 sets, taking exactly 6 minutes 37 seconds rest between sets. Or else YNDTP.

There is no answer for this question, which has been asked thousands of times. You run the program until you can't anymore, making the small modifications along the way (advanced novice, a re-set, top set +back-offs) that allow you to squeeze a bit more out of it. You make sure you have read this article and adjusted accordingly: The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe

That's where the LP will take you. No one can predict what the numbers will be.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 06-06-2017 at 12:58 PM.

Bummer, was hoping I'd get my squat to 334.18 x 5.

Haha, ok I probably should have seen that answer coming, message received. Head down, mouth shut, lift, eat, sleep. Thanks again.

Don't give up hope, cc. I didn't tell you about the 1.17% margin of error inherent in the Starting Strength Coach Crystal Ball of Gainz Predictions. Which puts your 334.18 within the range of possibility.