starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check - 320x5

Default Squat form check - 320x5

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey coaches,

Would you mind checking my squat? They are getting really heavy for me and I want to make sure my form is still okay. The last rep of my 2nd and 3rd sets were real grinders and I think I'm getting close to stalling. You think it's about time for a reset?

I started SSLP back on April 23 where my first squat workout was 185 3x5. I haven't done any resets yet, but have implemented light days at 80% and when I feel like I'm beat up add in a rest day here and there to keep progressing. Thank you for the help.

Squats 320 3 x 5 - YouTube

Firstly, damn you for thinking reps four and five were grinders. All of your squats were really fast and I am mad at you for going from 185 to 320 so quickly and with such good bar speed. Life isn't fair. I blame my parents.

All kidding aside, those really were fast. You just had to work slightly harder on your last two reps. Your stance is probably a bit wide, although that is tough to say from here. Make sure your toes are out at 30 degrees, not almost straight ahead. Drive your knees out harder. That may clean up the hint of knees slide you have at the bottom. Strong work. I would not reset yet. You have more in the tank. Also, check the sticky. Rear oblique works better for form checks.

Hey Tom I really appreciate you taking the time, thank you man. I'll work on those adjustments.

I should have clarified that I started SSLP after a bad groin strain (maybe tear?) from last July that has taken a very long time to heal. I still get a little aching in there and a little pain with sitting adduction. I had been working out but no deadlifting or squatting for those 9 months. I figured since it had been so long, starting strength linear progression was perfect.

Deadlift has gone from 275x5 to 380x5 and flat db bench from 75lbs db's for 3x12 to right now at 90lb db's for 3x10 just working on small rep increases (had an AC joint separation at work a while back and neutral grip doesn't cause any pain)

I got 325 today for 3x5 on squats which I'm thrilled about and it's a lifetime PR. My video's always look like the lift was easier than it felt like. I have to be honest that squats are so heavy to me now that I get a little scared and pretty nervous before each set.

Also I think my left knee (which is the side of the groin injury) comes inward and is more unstable out of the hole more than my right. I'll link a couple videos from today of front view and side where you can see it. Should I be concerned about this? I'm thinking it's just weaker because of the previous groin injury and should get better with time? Thanks again Tom.

325x5 - YouTube
    Squat front 325 3x5 - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by NS84 View Post
    I have to be honest that squats are so heavy to me now that I get a little scared and pretty nervous before each set.
    This is entirely normal. Anyone that has seriously done an LP has experienced it and you will continue to experience this existential dread almost every time you face off against a heavy weight. It is part of what makes strength training so worthwhile. The mental toughness you develop from pushing your numbers up pays dividends in many areas. You have done well.

Quote Originally Posted by NS84 View Post
    Also I think my left knee (which is the side of the groin injury) comes inward and is more unstable out of the hole more than my right.
    Your knees wiggle just a little, but I don't see anything serious here. Bring your stance narrower by about an inch and then drive your knees out a little more on the way down. I predict these slight wiggles will bet a little better with your feet in just a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    This is entirely normal. Anyone that has seriously done an LP has experienced it and you will continue to experience this existential dread almost every time you face off against a heavy weight. It is part of what makes strength training so worthwhile. The mental toughness you develop from pushing your numbers up pays dividends in many areas. You have done well.
    Amen!

starting strength coach development program
    Double Amen! I just finally got to 3 wheels. Had to talk myself down from the ledge to get it. Its only 2.5 kg more than last time.....GET IT!