starting strength gym

Thread: Getting restarted after shoulder injury

Default Getting restarted after shoulder injury

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Long time lurker, first time poster, etc....

40 YO male, 6', currently 205 lbs.

I started SS in earnest in mid-2014, ran though the novice program, moved into some advanced novice/intermediate programming. I had to back off a bit in mid-2016 to attend to some other life goals during which time I was "exercising" more than "training." I topped off at about 285 squat, 350 dead, and 145 press (all 1RM).

Then in late 2016, I had a right shoulder dislocation (my dominant hand) in a skiing accident, which led to a bad case of adhesive capsulitis and a severely constricted ROM. After a manipulation under anesthesia in April, I'm almost back to normal but still some ROM issues: I can press light weights; can squat with the aid of a towel to hold the bar; and have started to bench again. Deads aren't an issue, but I'd like to get the shoulder rehabbed a bit more before trying to clean.

My general plan was to re-start a novice LP, but here is my issue: my right shoulder literally has lost about 30% of the muscle mass compared to my left shoulder. Even pressing light weights, I can feel that the right shoulder isn't going to be able to keep up the left much longer, which isn't surprising given the muscles have atrophied.

Any suggestions for this situation? Do I just run an LP (probably resetting frequently) and hope that the right shoulder catches up? Should I try more volume work at the beginning? Assistance work?

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated!

I would stick to the barbell lifts in the program and just pay close attention to moving the bar symmetrically. Your weaker shoulder may kind of dictate the pace of improvement, but it should catch up. That combined with some stretching should probably help you get back strength and range of motion.