starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check - 290lbs

Default Squat Form Check - 290lbs

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    30/M/223

I've posted checks before but not in this sub-forum... wondering if I can get a check on my squats @ 290. Brief history, last time I was at 290 the weight kinda made me it's bitch. Reps were high and slow, in general they gave me a tough time. Deloaded to 260, worked on my stance, back angle, and drive... got them looking much better. Now I'm back at 290 and looking to break through 300 but first I'd love to have another critique to make sure that A) I have ACTUALLY made progress, and B) I haven't retained any bad habits from my old squats... I know the rule is one video but I'm gonna be a rebel and post both for the sake of comparison. Thanks!

290lb Squat 6/12

290lb Squat 5/26

All are high in the both videos. Squatting high is bad, and you've obviously been doing it for a while, including at lighter weights, most likely. Your stance may be a touch wide, and your toes turned out a bit much. Bring your heels about a half inch closer together, and bring your toes in to about 30° - they look like they are out at about 45°. Buy a protractor if you have to....

Feet narrower, toes less out, depth redemption do-over... what say you guys?

Better. Might even be a depth. Unfortunately you wore black shorts in contravention of the sticky you didn't read.

How about bending over a lot more? these are nice high-bar squats.

Well shit.

To be fair I did read it early on when I joined the forum, I just completely forgot about it before I posted :|

I tried to find the most obnoxiously bright shorts I had to update this with... I tried to get some more forward lean but don't think much changed. Did I cut these off too early? I'm trying to hit depth but avoid butt wink at the same time...

Squat 6/16 - 295lbs - YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    Those aren't bad by any stretch. Go a little deeper and don't let your knees go quite so far forward. This will lean you over a touch more. Watch how your first instinct is to lift your chest on the ascent, but you quickly think better of that, shift into your hips, and the bar comes up more quickly. Do that from the start. Drive your butt up. Also, don't slow way down before hitting the bottom. Go to the bottom and bounce back up while staying tight.