starting strength gym

Thread: Bench Press Stuck Help

Default Bench Press Stuck Help

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello, according to SS's definition of the word, I would be considered a novice lifter. I'm 5'11 and 163lbs with a very fast metabolism. I've been doing SS for about 6 months now and my bench press is simply stuck at 135lbs. Other exercises are still going up slowly but I cannot get my bench up. I do the cookie cutter 5x5 and try and add 5lbs the following chest day with no luck. I eat around 2500 calories a day of healthy foods. Any help?

Indeed, I do have some recommendations. The first is to read the book Starting Strength. 5x5s are not part of the novice linear progression. You are underweight at 163 lbs and 5'11". You will need to eat more to recover and build muscle. You will also need to invest in plates smaller than 2.5 lbs for the pressing movements. Also, read this:

The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonLeeAlford View Post
    ... I'm 5'11 and 163lbs with a very fast metabolism... I eat around 2500 calories a day of healthy foods. Any help?
    How much weight have you gained in the last 6 months? I started/re-started SS this January (am doing HLM now), and have gone from 172lb to 202lb at 6'1". You should be aiming for 1lb/week of weight gain. And 2500 calories/day is for losing weight, not gaining. I'm having to eat 4600 calories every single day to gain weight. That's how you deal with a high metabolism.

Maintaining 163lbs with 2500 calories/day means you don't have a "very fast" metabolism. You have a completely normal metabolism. Which is great news, since it means you can in fact gain weight!

I was in the same boat as you when I began my linear progression in earnest several months ago (maybe 6 or 7); under 170lbs, weak, and eating around 2500 calories/day and thinking that was a lot. Like every other skinny guy with a small appetite, I mistakenly attributed the lackluster strength and weight gains to having a fast metabolism and being an "ectomorphic hard-gainer".

Every notion of that was eviscerated the first month I began Starting Strength and adding milk to my diet. 1 extra cup added every 2 or 3 days until I was drinking 6 pints and 1500 calories worth of it every single day. As it turns out, upper body strength can increase markedly when the body has nearly 4000 calories and 200g of protein to work with each day.

I'm 210lbs now and my arms fill shirts a full size larger than I used to wear before I began.