starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift frequency

Default Deadlift frequency

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

I'm a bit confused regarding the programming the deadlift. The book says that deadlift should be cycled with power cleans and back ext/chins when the recovery becomes an issue. How do I know when recovery is an issue?

I'm asking this because I'm restarting the program twice now because I got my low back injured and it's not and injury which gets better with training. I'm pretty sure my form is solid this time. I started swapping deadlifts and cleans at 80kg last time I did it and I was progressively hurting myself thinking it will pass until 110kg when I stopped.

I saw some examples of novice linear progression. In SS the guy started cycling deadlift, clean and back ext. when he was lifting ~180 lb. In PPST the guy only cycled clean and deadlift until 405l b.

Can a good chiro help with these 'chronic' injuries?

Thanks

When taking a 5 lb jump on the DL, for one set of five reps, three times a week, becomes very difficult. This is not a very long time for most people. Usually within the first few weeks of starting.

That guy in the book was also a former D1 athlete with prior lifting experience. His LP progression will look much different than someone who has never trained/with less explosive genetics.

Quote Originally Posted by tfranc View Post
    That guy in the book was also a former D1 athlete with prior lifting experience. His LP progression will look much different than someone who has never trained/with less explosive genetics.
    Contextual clues are just so hard, aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    When taking a 5 lb jump on the DL, for one set of five reps, three times a week, becomes very difficult. This is not a very long time for most people. Usually within the first few weeks of starting.
    I thought the jumps should be more than that since deadlift is harder to recover from but yields greater performance jumps.

I guess I'm only having trouble with realizing what's difficult to do. It would be cool if we could objectify this somehow but I guess a coach would be the best bet.

Thanks for response.

starting strength coach development program
    Many people can take larger-than-5-pound-jumps in their first few DL workouts as their skill in the movement increases. But long term, you're looking at 5 lb jumps in the DL. I believe this is stated in the book. Maybe this is why you keep hurting your back.