starting strength gym

Thread: Head position/neck extension when setting up for power snatch

Default Head position/neck extension when setting up for power snatch

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My other issues aside, on these, my first ever sets of power snatches, I feel like I'm really craning my neck up to gaze at the 15- to 20-foot away spot on the floor. I set up in the way I assume you guys would teach it: bar over middle of the foot, bend knees till shins touch the bar (without moving the bar), take grip, squeeze chest up, high hip position, etc. I look uncomfortable in this video, and I certainly feel uncomfortable. Hard to tell, but I am really trying to flatten my back. So: am I on the right track, and my set-up will improve with time? Is my neck in any danger?

Yes, those other issues: pull is not smooth, a bit herky-jerky; need to stay out over the bar more, need to get my arms extended for the catch instead of sort of catching/pressing; fix arm bend; fix wrist angle at the top. But hey, these are fun to do, a probably not too bad for a first attempt.

Thanks for looking.

Tom

If looking forward is bothering you, look down more. You will be okay. Work to make it so that the jump makes the bar go up. Right now, you are mostly pulling this thing overhead with your arms. That will cease to work at heavier weights. Arms nice and straight. Stay over the bar as long as you can. Jump.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    If looking forward is bothering you, look down more. You will be okay. Work to make it so that the jump makes the bar go up. Right now, you are mostly pulling this thing overhead with your arms. That will cease to work at heavier weights. Arms nice and straight. Stay over the bar as long as you can. Jump.
    Tom it occurs to me that this weight problem with the power movements comes back often. As in the movement is pretty hard to do right if the weight is low. With like power cleans. But then its not possible yet to do it with heavier weights. Friend of mine started PC at 30kg (learning movement....) while his deadlift was already at 130 ish. Of course one has to be sensible about this but i told him to put some more weight on it. Its almost as if as long the weight is to low so they can reverse curl it, they are gonna reverse curl it.... makin sense or aint our coaching knowledge up to par.

Quote Originally Posted by Maties Hofstede View Post
    Tom it occurs to me that this weight problem with the power movements comes back often. As in the movement is pretty hard to do right if the weight is low. With like power cleans. But then its not possible yet to do it with heavier weights. Friend of mine started PC at 30kg (learning movement....) while his deadlift was already at 130 ish. Of course one has to be sensible about this but i told him to put some more weight on it. Its almost as if as long the weight is to low so they can reverse curl it, they are gonna reverse curl it.... makin sense or aint our coaching knowledge up to par.
    I think there is something to this. There is a weight at which a lack of form does not really matter. However, due to a lack of form, handling heavier weights is not yet possible. There is a Goldilocks zone somewhere in there.

Interesting, thank you!

Yes indeed, somehow you have to find that gold spot. I remember when a 10kg difference on the high side made me barely able to rack it, and on the low I'd have a steel barbell tryna fly trough my chin. Bruisses assured, fun times.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Maties Hofstede View Post
    Oh, yes. This is exactly what I'm doing. 30kg is nothing.