starting strength gym

Thread: Becoming a better coach.

Default Becoming a better coach.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I seem to have fallen into training athletes. It started when I ran myself through the program and everyone wanted to know how I did it. So I showed some people at work, helped them along. I didn't think of it as coaching at the time. I work in law enforcement and have put quite a few guys through the program. A while back, one of them asked me if I would help him with his soccer team's off season strength training. This is becoming a challenge in a way. Pretty much everyone else I have trained, or helped, have SWAT or military background. They are driven, and understand their body. I'm trying to change my approach with these kids, as it's been difficult just to get them moving their skeletal structure in a squat like manner. Some are having decent progress, a few aren't. I didn't think I was doing a overly spectacular job, but they asked me if I'd take on the high school football team. Any advice on training weak, uncoordinated novices? What are your priorities when judging form? Any advice is appreciated. Also any word on how to be a better coach in general. I have the ability to do online school at work. I'm sure I could waste my time getting an NASM certification, or getting another degree. Is there a more useful course of study that would help me coach others in the future?

The best thing you could possibly do is get a great coach to mentor you. Experience is the key, but there's a gulf of difference between experience and just repeating ineffective processes. Honestly, a Starting Strength Seminar is probably the best investment you could make here.

A Starting Strength seminar is definitely in the pipeline. Just a matter of getting the time off and money saved. I would love to find a mentor, but there's not really any close to me. At least not strength coaches. Very rural setting, I own one of five squat racks in an 80 mile radius of my house. The last football coach had them doing P90X for their summer program. I KNOW I can improve on that ha. Thanks for the reply!

As far as the football team, keep it as basic and as simple as you can. Focus on strength and strength only for as long you can. Don't let any other coach tell you to do agility or conditioning, STRENGTH.

Watch all of the "Art of manliness" videos and maybe have some other FB coaches watch them so they can assist. These are a great,simple starting point. Watch every video on the SS channel on the four main lifts and dial your coaching in on those lifts.

Make sure you are in charge of the strength program so you aren't arguing about curls and other silly unnecessary bs.

As far as programming, run a novice program with bench,squat, DL, and press. Throw in some prowler and box jumps and you will have a nice program that will start showing results that the KIDS will see, this is how you get the other kids on board.

During the last two squat workouts I have had someone come up to me and ask to be shown how to squat.

Holy cow is it hard to teach. I truly had no idea how difficult it is when a true novice who never squatted before suddenly gets the empty bar on their back. Wow. Its even tougher when they don't know the book or the SS technique, moment arms, etc. Or when they have no idea what their body is doing in space. The one thing I did right is direct them to the book.

I'm less worried about the high school football team, and I planned on running them straight through the program. My main issue has been 1 or 2 kids that just can't (won't) squat the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun View Post
    During the last two squat workouts I have had someone come up to me and ask to be shown how to squat.

Holy cow is it hard to teach. I truly had no idea how difficult it is when a true novice who never squatted before suddenly gets the empty bar on their back. Wow. Its even tougher when they don't know the book or the SS technique, moment arms, etc. Or when they have no idea what their body is doing in space. The one thing I did right is direct them to the book.
    I've found the people who never really squatted before who've asked me to help them are pretty easy to teach. They don't have any bad habits or preconceived notions on how to do it. It's the ones who've been doing it wrong for a while, that are hard for me to get moving the right way and into the proper positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Baddecisions View Post
    I'm less worried about the high school football team, and I planned on running them straight through the program. My main issue has been 1 or 2 kids that just can't (won't) squat the bar.
    CAP makes a 15lb aluminum bar that sells for a little over $100 IIRC.

Baddecisions, I've seen in mentioned elsewhere on these forums that observing the form check videos, drawing your own conclusions, and then comparing those with the advice given by the SSCs is of benefit. Particularly if the seminar and access to an SSC in person is something you're still trying to organise.

starting strength coach development program
    I have a training barbell now, and 10 pound bumpers. One kid still won't squat, he's just unwilling to be uncomfortable. Not much can be done for someone that weak minded. Training is almost done for the soccer players, and is in full swing for football now. The strongest kids in football were some little fellas I trained for soccer so I couldn't have don't all that bad. Thanks for the help everyone.